Senate Bill No. 253
Introduced By _______________________________________________________________________________
A Bill for an Act entitled: "An Act removing construction and demolition wastes from the definition of "solid waste" in the Montana Solid Waste Management Act; amending section
75-10-203, MCA; and providing an immediate effective date."
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Montana:
Section 1. Section 75-10-203, MCA, is amended to read:
"75-10-203. Definitions. Unless the context requires otherwise, in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Board" means the board of environmental review provided for in 2-15-3502.
(2) "Department" means the department of environmental quality provided for in 2-15-3501.
(3) "Dispose" or "disposal" means the discharge, injection, deposit, dumping, spilling, leaking, or placing of any solid waste into or onto the land so that the solid waste or any constituent of it may enter the environment or be emitted into the air or discharged into any waters, including ground water.
(4) "Household hazardous waste" means products commonly used in the home that due to corrosivity, ignitability, reactivity, toxicity, or other chemical or physical properties are dangerous to human health or the environment. Household hazardous waste includes but is not limited to cleaning, home maintenance, automobile, personal care, and yard maintenance products.
(5) "Household waste" means any solid waste derived from households, including single and multiple residences, hotels, and motels, crew quarters, and campgrounds and other public recreation and public land management facilities.
(6) (a) "Municipal solid waste landfill" means any publicly or privately owned landfill or landfill unit that receives household waste or other types of waste, including commercial waste, nonhazardous sludge, and industrial solid waste.
(b) The term does not include land application units, surface impoundments, injection wells, or waste piles.
(7) "Person" means an individual, firm, partnership, company, association, corporation, city, town, local governmental entity, or any other governmental or private entity, whether organized for profit or not.
(8) "Resource recovery" means the recovery of material or energy from solid waste.
(9) "Resource recovery facility" means a facility at which solid waste is processed for the purpose of extracting, converting to energy, or otherwise separating and preparing solid waste for reuse.
(10) "Resource recovery system" means a solid waste management system that provides for the collection, separation, recycling, or recovery of solid wastes, including disposal of nonrecoverable waste residues.
(11) (a) "Solid waste" means all putrescible and nonputrescible wastes, including but not limited to garbage; rubbish;
refuse; ashes; sludge from sewage treatment plants, water supply treatment plants, or air pollution control facilities;
construction and demolition wastes; dead animals, including offal; discarded home and industrial appliances; and wood
products or wood byproducts and inert materials.
(b) Solid waste does not mean municipal sewage, industrial wastewater effluents, mining wastes regulated under the mining and reclamation laws administered by the department of environmental quality, slash and forest debris regulated under laws administered by the department of natural resources and conservation, construction and demolition wastes, or marketable byproducts.
(12) "Solid waste management system" means a system that controls the storage, treatment, recycling, recovery, or disposal of solid waste. For the purposes of this definition, a container site, as defined in 75-10-103, is not a component of a solid waste management system.
(13) "Storage" means the actual or intended containment of wastes, either on a temporary basis or for a period of years.
(14) "Transport" means the movement of wastes from the point of generation to any intermediate points and finally to the point of ultimate storage or disposal.
(15) "Treatment" means a method, technique, or process, including neutralization, designed to change the physical, chemical, or biological character or composition of any solid waste so as to neutralize the waste or so as to render it safer for transport, amenable for recovery, amenable for storage, or reduced in volume."
NEW SECTION. Section 2. Effective date. [This act] is effective on passage and approval.