Senate Bill No. 315
Introduced By mccarthy, mood
A Bill for an Act entitled: An Act MODIFYING THE DEFINITION OF "CONTAINER SITE"; amending section 75-10-103, MCA; and providing an effective date.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Montana:
Section 1. Section 75-10-103, MCA, is amended to read:
"75-10-103. Definitions. Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Board" means the board of environmental review provided for in 2-15-3502.
(2) "Container site" means a solid waste management facility
(a) is generally open to the public
, for the collection of solid waste that is generated by more than one household or firm
and that is collected in a refuse container with a total capacity of not more than 50 cubic yards; or
(b) receives waste from waste collection vehicles and:
(i) is located in a fifth-, sixth-, or seventh-class county, as defined in 7-1-2111;
(ii) receives no more than 3,000 tons of waste each year;
(iii) has control measures in place, including onsite staffing, to adequately contain solid wastes and blowing litter on the site and to minimize spills and leakage of liquid wastes; and
(iv) is a site at which a local government unit requires commercial waste haulers to deposit wastes at the site only during hours that the site is staffed.
(3) "Department" means the department of environmental quality provided for in 2-15-3501.
(4) "Front-end implementation funds" means the money granted to local governments for purchase of capital equipment to be used for a solid waste management system.
(5) "Front-end organizational funds" means the money to be loaned to local governments for initial operating capital, site evaluation and negotiation, final design engineering and cost estimates, construction contract documents, final contract negotiations with energy users, material markets, and waste suppliers, contract negotiations with private operational managers, and financial and legal consultations.
(6) "Front-end planning funds" means the money granted to local governments for contract negotiations between local governments, predesign engineering and cost estimates, administrative costs, preliminary contract negotiations with energy users and waste suppliers, financial feasibility analysis by a financial consultant, legal consultations, opinions, and review of contracts.
(7) "Local government" means a county, incorporated city or town, or refuse disposal district organized under the laws of this state.
(8) "Person" means any individual, firm, partnership, company, association, corporation, city, town, local governmental entity, or any other state, federal, or private entity, whether organized for profit or not.
(9) "Resource recovery facility" means any facility at which solid waste is processed for the purpose of extracting, converting to energy, or otherwise separating and preparing solid waste for reuse.
(10) (a) "Solid waste" means all putrescible and nonputrescible wastes, including but not limited to garbage, rubbish, refuse, ashes, sludge from sewage treatment plants, water supply treatment plants, or air pollution control facilities; construction and demolition wastes; dead animals, including offal; discarded home and industrial appliances; and wood products or wood byproducts and inert materials.
(b) Solid waste does not mean municipal sewage, industrial wastewater effluents, mining wastes regulated under the mining and reclamation laws administered by the department of environmental quality, slash and forest debris regulated under laws administered by the department of natural resources and conservation, or marketable byproducts.
(11) "Solid waste management system" means any system that controls the storage, treatment, recycling, recovery, or
disposal of solid waste. For the purposes of this definition
, a, a container site is not a component of a solid waste
(12) "State solid waste plan" means the statewide plan formulated by the department as authorized by this part."
Section 2. Effective date. [This act] is effective July 1, 1997.