2017 Montana Legislature
Additional Bill Links PDF (with line numbers)
HOUSE BILL NO. 440
INTRODUCED BY J. KEANE
A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: "AN ACT REVISING LAWS REGARDING OUT-OF-STATE VEHICLES USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES; INCREASING THE PENALTY FOR FAILING TO REGISTER OUT-OF-STATE VEHICLES USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES; ALLOCATING FINE AMOUNTS BETWEEN THE SHERIFFS' RETIREMENT FUND AND THE HIGHWAY PATROL OFFICERS' RETIREMENT FUND; AMENDING SECTIONS 19-6-401, 19-7-402, AND 61-3-704, MCA; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE."
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. Section 19-6-401, MCA, is amended to read:
"19-6-401. Payments into pension trust fund. There is a pension trust fund for the payment of benefits under the retirement system. All appropriations made by the state, all contributions by members, in the amount specified, and all interest on and earnings from the investment of money in this pension trust fund, and fines collected and distributed under 61-3-704 and [section 4] must be deposited in the pension trust fund."
Section 2. Section 19-7-402, MCA, is amended to read:
"19-7-402. Sources of money in fund. The following money must be paid to the board, which shall credit the payments to the pension trust fund:
(1) all contributions by the various counties as required by this chapter;
(2) all contributions by members as required by this chapter;
(3) all interest on and increase of the investments and money under this chapter; and
(4) any supplemental appropriation or revenue from a source or sources approved by the legislature or money received directly from the federal government for funding of law enforcement retirement systems.; and
(5) fines collected and distributed under 61-3-704 and [section 4]."
Section 3. Section 61-3-704, MCA, is amended to read:
"61-3-704. Penalty. (1) Any person operating a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer in violation of the intent and purpose of 61-3-701 or 61-3-702 is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by a fine of not less than $10 or more than $50 $300, confined in the county jail for not more than 30 days, or both.
(2) Any person operating a vehicle in violation of the intent and purpose of 61-3-702 is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by a fine of not less than $10 or more than $50, confined in the county jail for not more than 30 days, or both.
(3) This section does not apply to a student currently enrolled in any university, college, community college, or other institution of higher education in Montana."
NEW SECTION. Section 4. Disposition of fines. All fines collected under 61-3-704 must be deposited with the state treasurer for distribution as follows:
(1) 50% to the sheriffs' retirement system pension fund as provided in 19-7-402; and
(2) 50% to the highway patrol officers' retirement system pension fund as provided in 19-6-401.
NEW SECTION. Section 5. Codification instruction. [Section 4] is intended to be codified as an integral part of Title 61, chapter 3, part 7, and the provisions of Title 61, chapter 3, part 7, apply to [section 4].
NEW SECTION. Section 6. Effective date. [This act] is effective July 1, 2017.
- END -
Latest Version of HB 440 (HB0440.01)
Processed for the Web on February 13, 2017 (8:09am)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted.
See the status of this bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill | 2017 Legislature | Leg. Branch Home
All versions of all bills (PDF format)
Authorized print version of this bill w/line numbers (PDF format)
[ NEW SEARCH ]
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services