About Bill -- Links
HOUSE BILL NO. 26
INTRODUCED BY S. KITZENBERG, W. MCNUTT, A. BISHOP, J. BOHLINGER, D. FUCHS, K. GILLAN, L. GROSFIELD, T. HAGENER, J. HARP, D. HEDGES, J. HERTEL, R. HOLDEN, T. KEATING, R. LENHART, M. LINDEEN, J. LYNCH, G. MATTHEWS, M. MCCANN, A. MOHL, L. NELSON, R. PECK, B. REHBEIN, F. SMITH, M. SPRAGUE, J. TESTER
A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: "AN ACT CREATING THE WARM WATER GAME FISH
SURCHARGE AND WARM WATER GAME FISH STAMP THAT WILL ALLOW A LICENSEE
THROUGHOUT THE STATE IN DESIGNATED WATERS FOR WARM WATER
GAME FISH; DEDICATING SURCHARGE REVENUE TO THE MULTISPECIES FISH
HATCHERY NEAR FORT PECK DAM; CREATING AN ACCOUNT AND PROVIDING FOR
ADMINISTRATION OF THE ACCOUNT BY THE DEPARTMENT OF FISH, WILDLIFE, AND
PARKS; SUBMITTING THE SURCHARGE TO THE ELECTORATE; AND PROVIDING A
CONTINGENT VOIDNESS PROVISION."
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
NEW SECTION. Section 1. Warm water game fish surcharge and stamp -- warm water game fish defined -- account established -- dedication of account revenue to Fort Peck multispecies fish hatchery. (1) A person who is required to be licensed in order to fish in Montana and who desires to fish for warm water game fish in waters listed in subsection (8) shall, upon purchase of a Class A, Class B, Class B-4, or Class A-8 fishing license, pay a warm water game fish surcharge of $5. The surcharge is in addition to the license fee established for each class of license and entitles the holder to fish for warm water game fish as authorized by the department. Payment of the surcharge must be indicated by placement of a warm water game fish stamp on the fishing license.
(2) A warm water game fish stamp
expires at the same time as the license to which it is affixed is
valid for the license year in which it is purchased.
(3) Revenue from the warm water game fish surcharge must be placed in the account created in subsection (5) and may be used only for the purposes set out in subsection (7).
(4) As used in this section, "warm water game fish" includes but is not limited to all species of the genera Stizostedion, Esox, Micropterus, and Lota and includes largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides), smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieui), walleye (Stizostedion vitreum), sauger (Stizostedion canadense), black crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus), white crappie (Pomoxis annularis), channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus), yellow perch (Perca flavescens), northern pike (Esox lucius), and tiger muskellunge.
(5) There is an account into which must be deposited:
(a) all proceeds from the warm water game fish surcharge established in subsection (1); and
(b) money received by the department in the form of gifts, grants, reimbursements, or appropriations from any source intended to be used for the Fort Peck multispecies fish hatchery.
(6) The department shall administer the account within the state special revenue fund established in 17-2-102.
(7) Revenue collected under subsection (5) must be used by the department
exclusively for the
construction, operation, maintenance, and personnel costs of the Fort Peck multispecies fish hatchery
established in [section 1 of LC 41], which may include a cost-share agreement with the federal
government for construction of the Fort Peck multispecies fish hatchery, and beginning October 1,
2005, for the costs incurred in eradicating illegally introduced warm water species from
Montana waters. No more than 15% of available revenue may be dedicated to eradication
(8) The department shall prepare a list of all waters into which fish from the Fort Peck multispecies fish hatchery will be planted. The waters designated in the list are the only waters for which a warm water game fish stamp is required.
NEW SECTION. Section 2. Submission of surcharge to electorate. This act shall be submitted to the qualified electors of Montana as provided in Title 13, chapter 1, MCA, at the tax election to be held in 1999, by printing on the ballot the full title of this act and the following:
SHALL A NEW TAX, DESCRIBED AS FOLLOWS, BE IMPOSED?
 FOR creating the warm water game fish surcharge and dedicating surcharge revenue to the multispecies fish hatchery near Fort Peck dam.
 AGAINST creating the warm water game fish surcharge and dedicating surcharge revenue to the multispecies fish hatchery near Fort Peck dam.
NEW SECTION. Section 3. Contingent voidness. If Constitutional Initiative No. 75, enacting Article VIII, section 17, of the Montana constitution, including the provision requiring a public vote on new taxes, is declared invalid, then section 2 of this act is void.
NEW SECTION. Section 4. Codification instruction. [Section 1] is intended to be codified as an integral part of Title 87, chapter 1, part 2, and the provisions of Title 87, chapter 1, part 2, apply to [section 1].
NEW SECTION. Section 5. Coordination instruction. If __Bill No.__ [LC 41] is not passed and approved, then [this act] is void.
- END -
Latest Version of HB 26 (HB0026.02)
Processed for the Web on January 23, 1999 (9:32AM)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted. See the status of this bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill| 1999 Legislature | Leg. Branch Home
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services