About Bill -- Links
HOUSE BILL NO. 409
INTRODUCED BY S. VICK
A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: "AN ACT AUTHORIZING THE LEGISLATURE TO LIMIT THE INTRODUCTION OF BILLS; SUBMITTING TO THE QUALIFIED ELECTORS OF MONTANA AN AMENDMENT TO ARTICLE V, SECTION 11, OF THE MONTANA CONSTITUTION."
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. Article V, section 11, of The Constitution of the State of Montana is amended to read:
"Section 11. Bills. (1) A law shall be passed by bill which shall not be so altered or amended on its passage through the legislature as to change its original purpose. No bill shall become law except by a vote of the majority of all members present and voting.
(2) Every vote of each member of the legislature on each substantive question in the legislature, in any committee, or in committee of the whole shall be recorded and made public. On final passage, the vote shall be taken by ayes and noes and the names entered on the journal.
(3) Each bill, except general appropriation bills and bills for the codification and general revision of the laws, shall contain only one subject, clearly expressed in its title. If any subject is embraced in any act and is not expressed in the title, only so much of the act not so expressed is void.
(4) A general appropriation bill shall contain only appropriations for the ordinary expenses of the legislative, executive, and judicial branches, for interest on the public debt, and for public schools. Every other appropriation shall be made by a separate bill, containing but one subject.
(5) No appropriation shall be made for religious, charitable, industrial, educational, or benevolent purposes to any private individual, private association, or private corporation not under control of the state.
(6) A law may be challenged on the ground of noncompliance with this section only within two years after its effective date.
(7) The legislature may limit the number of bills that may be introduced in a legislative session and prepared under its agency for introduction in a legislative session."
NEW SECTION. Section 2. Submission to electorate. This amendment shall be submitted to the qualified electors of Montana at the general election to be held in November 2000, by printing on the ballot the full title of this act and the following:
 FOR allowing the legislature to limit the number of bills that may be introduced in a legislative session.
 AGAINST allowing the legislature to limit the number of bills that may be introduced in a legislative session.
- END -
Latest Version of HB 409 (HB0409.01)
Processed for the Web on January 28, 1999 (5:02PM)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted. See the status of this bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill| 1999 Session | Leg. Branch Home
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services