About Bill -- Links
HOUSE BILL NO. 652
INTRODUCED BY M. GUGGENHEIM
AN ACT REVISING THE DEFINITION OF "INCOME" AS IT RELATES TO THE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TAX CREDIT FOR THE ELDERLY; EXCLUDING THE TAXPAYER'S BASIS IN THE DETERMINATION OF INCOME; AMENDING SECTION 15-30-171, MCA; AND PROVIDING AN IMMEDIATE EFFECTIVE DATE AND A RETROACTIVE APPLICABILITY DATE.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. Section 15-30-171, MCA, is amended to read:
"15-30-171. Residential property tax credit for elderly -- definitions. As used in 15-30-171 through 15-30-179, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Claim period" means the tax year for individuals required to file Montana individual income tax returns and the calendar year for individuals not required to file returns.
(2) "Claimant" means a person who is eligible to file a claim under 15-30-172.
(3) "Department" means the department of revenue.
(4) "Gross household income" means all income received by all individuals of a household while they are members of the household.
(5) "Gross rent" means the total rent in cash or its equivalent actually paid during the claim period by the renter or lessee for the right of occupancy of the homestead pursuant to an arm's-length transaction with the landlord.
(6) "Homestead" means:
(a) a single-family dwelling or unit of a multiple-unit dwelling that is subject to property taxes in Montana and as much of the surrounding land, but not in excess of 1 acre, as is reasonably necessary for its use as a dwelling; or
(b) a single-family dwelling or unit of a multiple-unit dwelling that is rented from a county or municipal housing authority as provided in Title 7, chapter 15.
(7) "Household" means an association of persons who live in the same dwelling, sharing its furnishings, facilities, accommodations, and expenses. The term does not include bona fide lessees, tenants, or roomers and boarders on contract.
(8) "Household income" means the amount obtained by subtracting $6,300 from gross household income.
(9) (a) "Income" means, except as provided in subsection (9)(b), federal adjusted gross income, without regard to loss, as that quantity is defined in the Internal Revenue Code of the United States, plus all nontaxable income, including but not limited to:
(a)(i) the gross amount of any pension or annuity, including Railroad Retirement Act benefits and veterans' disability
benefits; (b)(ii) the amount of capital gains excluded from adjusted gross income; (c)(iii) alimony; (d)(iv) support money; (e)(v) nontaxable strike benefits; (f)(vi) cash public assistance and relief; (g)(vii) payments and interest on federal, state, county, and municipal bonds; and (h)(viii) all payments received under federal social security except social security income paid directly to a nursing
(b) For the purposes of this subsection (9), income is reduced by the taxpayer's basis.
(10) "Property tax billed" means taxes levied against the homestead, including special assessments and fees but excluding penalties or interest during the claim period.
(11) "Rent-equivalent tax paid" means 15% of the gross rent."
Section 2. Coordination instruction. If Senate Bill No. 424 is passed and approved and if it amends section 15-30-171, then the section of Senate Bill No. 424 amending section 15-30-171 is void.
Section 3. Effective date. [This act] is effective on passage and approval.
Section 4. Retroactive applicability. [This act] applies retroactively, within the meaning of 1-2-109, to tax years beginning after December 31, 1998.
- END -
Latest Version of HB 652 (HB0652.ENR)
Processed for the Web on April 16, 1999 (9:59AM)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted. See the status of the bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill | 1999 Session | Leg. Branch Home
This bill in WP 5.1 | All versions of all bills in WP 5.1
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services