15-62-103. Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Account" means an individual participating trust account established under this chapter.
(2) "Account owner" means the person who enters into a participating trust agreement and who is designated at the time that an account is opened as having the right to withdraw money from the account before the account is disbursed to or for the benefit of the designated beneficiary.
(3) "Board" means the board of regents of higher education established by Article X, section 9, subsection (2), of the Montana constitution and 2-15-1505.
(4) "Committee" means the family education savings program oversight committee established in 20-25-901.
(5) "Designated beneficiary" means, with respect to an account, the person designated at the time that the account is opened as the person whose higher education expenses are expected to be paid from the account or if this person is replaced in accordance with 15-62-202, the individual replacing the former designated beneficiary.
(6) "Financial institution" means any bank, commercial bank, national bank, savings bank, savings and loan association, credit union, insurance company, trust company, investment adviser, or other similar entity that is authorized to do business in this state.
(7) "Higher education institution" means an eligible educational institution as defined in section 529(e)(5) of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. 529(e)(5).
(8) "Investment products" means, without limitation, certificates of deposit, savings accounts paying fixed or variable interest, financial instruments, one or more mutual funds, and a mix of mutual funds.
(9) "Member of the family" means, with respect to a designated beneficiary, a member of the family of the designated beneficiary as defined in section 529(e)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. 529(e)(2).
(10) "Nonqualified withdrawal" means a withdrawal from an account that is not:
(a) a qualified withdrawal;
(b) a withdrawal made as the result of the death or disability of the designated beneficiary of an account;
(c) a withdrawal that is made on the account of a scholarship or the allowance or payment described in section 135(d)(1)(B) or (d)(1)(C) of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. 135(d)(1)(B) or (d)(1)(C), and that is received by the designated beneficiary; or
(d) a rollover or change of designated beneficiary described in 15-62-202.
(11) "Participating trust agreement" means an agreement between the board, as trustee and as administrator of the program, and the account owner that creates a trust interest in the trust and provides for participation in the program.
(12) "Program" means the family education savings program established pursuant to 15-62-201. The program must be structured to permit the long-term accumulation of savings that can be used to finance all or a share of the costs of higher education.
(13) "Qualified higher education expenses" means qualified higher education expenses as defined in section 529(e)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. 529(e)(3).
(14) "Qualified withdrawal" means a withdrawal from an account to pay the qualified higher education expenses of the designated beneficiary of the account.
(15) "Trust" means the family education savings trust established by 15-62-301.
(16) "Trustee" means the board in its capacity as trustee of the trust.
(17) "Trust interest" means an account owner's interest in the trust created by a participating trust agreement and held for the benefit of a designated beneficiary.
History: En. Sec. 3, Ch. 540, L. 1997; amd. Sec. 5, Ch. 468, L. 2001; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 566, L. 2003; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 549, L. 2005.