20-1-102. Legislative goals for public elementary and secondary schools. It is the goal of the legislature that Montana's public elementary and secondary school system, in cooperation with parents or guardians, create a learning environment for each student that:
(1) develops a sound foundation for literacy and numeracy during the early years that is built upon and reinforced throughout the educational experience;
(2) furthers the ability to reason critically, creatively, and strategically;
(3) fosters the ability to effectively understand and communicate ideas, knowledge, and thoughts;
(4) develops a sense of personal and civic responsibility;
(5) provides an in-depth understanding of the American political, social, and economic systems and the historical context from which they arose;
(6) provides familiarization with political, social, and economic systems found elsewhere in the world;
(7) develops a strong work ethic, postsecondary readiness, and employment skills; and
(8) encourages a healthy lifestyle.
History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 208, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 222, L. 2013.