20-2-121. Board of public education -- powers and duties. The board of public education shall:
(1) effect an orderly and uniform system for teacher certification and specialist certification and for the issuance of an emergency authorization of employment by adopting the policies prescribed by 20-4-102 and 20-4-111;
(2) consider the suspension or revocation of teacher or specialist certificates and appeals from the denial of teacher or specialist certification in accordance with the provisions of 20-4-110;
(3) administer and order the distribution of BASE aid in accordance with the provisions of 20-9-344;
(4) adopt and enforce policies to provide uniform standards and regulations for the design, construction, and operation of school buses in accordance with the provisions of 20-10-111;
(5) adopt policies prescribing the conditions when school may be conducted on Saturday and the types of pupil-instruction-related days and approval procedure for those days in accordance with the provisions of 20-1-303 and 20-1-304;
(6) adopt standards of accreditation and establish the accreditation status of every school in accordance with the provisions of 20-7-101 and 20-7-102;
(7) approve or disapprove educational media selected by the superintendent of public instruction for the educational media library in accordance with the provisions of 20-7-201;
(8) adopt policies for the conduct of special education in accordance with the provisions of 20-7-402;
(9) adopt rules for issuance of documents certifying equivalency of completion of secondary education in accordance with 20-7-131;
(10) adopt policies for the conduct of programs for gifted and talented children in accordance with the provisions of 20-7-903 and 20-7-904;
(11) adopt rules for student assessment in the public schools; and
(12) perform any other duty prescribed from time to time by this title or any other act of the legislature.
History: En. 75-5607 by Sec. 8, Ch. 5, L. 1971; (amd. Sec. 15, Ch. 434, L. 1975 -- [unconstitutional, 167 M 261]; Sec. 15, Ch. 434, L. 1975 repealed by Sec. 1, Ch. 4, L. 1977); amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 266, L. 1977; R.C.M. 1947, 75-5607; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 511, L. 1979; amd. Sec. 9, Ch. 598, L. 1979; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 94, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 312, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 377, L. 1987; amd. Sec. 40, Ch. 633, L. 1993; amd. Sec. 7, Ch. 138, L. 2005.