30-14-102. Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Consumer" means a person who purchases or leases goods, services, real property, or information primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.
(2) "Department" means the department of justice created in 2-15-2001.
(3) "Documentary material" means the original or a copy of any book, record, report, memorandum, paper, communication, tabulation, map, chart, photograph, mechanical transcription, or other tangible document or recording.
(4) "Examination" of documentary material includes the inspection, study, or copying of documentary material and the taking of testimony under oath or acknowledgment in respect to any documentary material or copy of documentary material.
(5) (a) "Gift certificate" means a record, including a gift card or stored value card, that is provided for paid consideration and that indicates a promise by the issuer or seller of the record that goods or services will be provided to the possessor of the record for the value that is shown on the record or contained within the record by means of a microprocessor chip, magnetic stripe, bar code, or other electronic information storage device. The consideration provided for the gift certificate must be made in advance. The value of the gift certificate is reduced by the amount spent with each use. A gift certificate is considered trust property of the possessor if the issuer or seller of the gift certificate declares bankruptcy after issuing or selling the gift certificate. The value represented by the gift certificate belongs to the possessor, to the extent provided by law, and not to the issuer or seller.
(b) The term does not include:
(i) prepaid telecommunications and technology cards, including but not limited to prepaid telephone calling cards, prepaid technical support cards, and prepaid internet disks that have been distributed to or purchased by a consumer;
(ii) a coupon provided to a consumer pursuant to any award, loyalty, or promotion program without any money or consideration being given in exchange for the card; or
(iii) a gift certificate usable with multiple sellers of goods or services.
(6) "Person" means natural persons, corporations, trusts, partnerships, incorporated or unincorporated associations, and any other legal entity.
(7) "Possessor" means a natural person who has physical control over a gift certificate.
(8) "Trade" and "commerce" mean the advertising, offering for sale, sale, or distribution of any services, any property, tangible or intangible, real, personal, or mixed, or any other article, commodity, or thing of value, wherever located, and includes any trade or commerce directly or indirectly affecting the people of this state.
History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 275, L. 1973; R.C.M. 1947, 85-401; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 274, L. 1981; amd. Sec. 66, Ch. 483, L. 2001; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 322, L. 2003; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 280, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 291, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 331, L. 2007.