35-10-102. Definitions. In this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Business" includes every trade, occupation, or profession.
(2) "Debtor in bankruptcy" means a person who is the subject of:
(a) an order for relief under Title 11 of the United States Code or a comparable order under a successor statute of general application; or
(b) a comparable order under state law governing insolvency.
(3) "Distribution" means a transfer of money or other property from a partnership to a partner in the partner's capacity as a partner or to the partner's transferee.
(4) "Limited liability partnership" means a partnership registered under 35-10-701 and includes both domestic and foreign limited liability partnerships.
(5) (a) "Partnership" means an association of two or more persons to carry on as co-owners a business for profit formed under 35-10-202, a predecessor law, or a comparable law of another jurisdiction.
(b) The term includes but is not limited to a limited liability partnership for all purposes of the laws of this state and all licensing laws, whether for professionals or otherwise.
(6) "Partnership agreement" means an agreement, written or oral, among the partners concerning the partnership.
(7) "Partnership at will" means a partnership in which the partners have not agreed to remain partners until the expiration of a definite term or the completion of a particular undertaking.
(8) "Person" means:
(a) an individual;
(b) a corporation;
(c) a business trust;
(d) an estate;
(e) a trust;
(f) a partnership;
(g) an association;
(h) a joint venture;
(i) a government;
(j) a governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality; or
(k) any other legal or commercial entity.
(9) "Property" means all property, real, personal, or mixed, tangible or intangible, or any interest therein.
(10) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
(11) "Statement" means a statement of partnership authority under 35-10-310, a statement of denial under 35-10-311, a statement of dissociation under 35-10-622, a statement of dissolution under 35-10-627, a statement of merger under 35-10-643, an application for registration of assumed business name or a renewal of registration, or an amendment, cancellation, or withdrawal of the foregoing.
(12) "Transfer" includes an assignment, conveyance, lease, mortgage, deed, and encumbrance.
History: En. Sec. 2, Ch. 251, L. 1947; R.C.M. 1947, 63-102; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 238, L. 1993; amd. Sec. 7, Ch. 449, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 20, Ch. 26, L. 2011.