35-2-119. Filing requirements. All of the following requirements must be met before a document may be filed under this section by the secretary of state:
(1) A document that is required or permitted by this chapter to be filed in the office of the secretary of state must satisfy the requirements of this section and of any other section that adds to or varies these requirements.
(2) The document must contain the information required by this chapter. The document may contain other information as well.
(3) The document must be typewritten or printed unless an electronic form is allowed by the secretary of state.
(4) The document must be in the English language. However, a corporate name does not need to be in English if it is written in English letters or Arabic or Roman numerals.
(5) (a) Except as provided in subsection (5)(b), the document must be executed:
(i) by the presiding officer of the corporation's board of directors, its president, or another of its officers;
(ii) if directors have not been selected or the corporation has not been formed, by an incorporator; or
(iii) if the corporation is in the hands of a receiver, trustee, or other court-appointed fiduciary, by that fiduciary.
(b) (i) A corporation's annual report may be executed as provided in subsection (5)(a) or by the corporation's authorized agent.
(ii) For the purposes of this subsection (5)(b), "authorized agent" means any individual granted permission by an entity to execute a document on behalf of the entity. The entity is responsible for maintaining a record of the permission granted to an authorized agent.
(6) The person executing the document shall sign the document and state beneath or opposite the signature the person's name and the capacity in which the person signs. The document may but does not need to contain the corporate seal, an attestation by the secretary or an assistant secretary, or an acknowledgment, verification, or proof.
(7) The document must be in or on the prescribed form if the secretary of state has prescribed a mandatory form for a document under 35-2-1108.
(8) The document must be delivered to the office of the secretary of state for filing and must be accompanied by:
(a) the correct filing fee; and
(b) any franchise tax, license fee, or penalty required by this chapter, rules promulgated under this chapter, or other law.
History: En. Sec. 4, Ch. 411, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 7, Ch. 71, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 6, Ch. 33, L. 2007; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 190, L. 2013; amd. Sec. 4, Ch. 42, L. 2015.