37-7-1513. Unlawful acts -- sanctions -- civil penalties. (1) A pharmacist who fails to submit prescription drug order information to the board as required by 37-7-1503 or who willfully submits incorrect prescription drug order information must be referred to the board for consideration of administrative sanctions.
(2) A person or entity authorized to possess registry information pursuant to 37-7-1504 through 37-7-1506 who willfully discloses or uses the registry information in violation of 37-7-1504 through 37-7-1506 or a rule adopted pursuant to this part must be referred to the appropriate licensing board or regulatory agency for consideration of administrative sanctions.
(3) In addition to the administrative sanction provided in subsection (2), a person or entity who willfully discloses or uses information from the registry in violation of 37-7-1504 through 37-7-1506 or a rule adopted pursuant to this part is liable for a civil penalty of up to $10,000 for each violation.
(4) The board may institute and maintain in the name of the state any enforcement proceedings under this section. Upon request of the department, the attorney general shall petition the district court to impose, assess, and recover the civil penalty.
(5) An action under subsection (3) or to enforce this part or a rule adopted under this part may be brought in the district court of any county where a violation occurs or, if mutually agreed on by the parties in the action, in the district court of the first judicial district.
(6) Civil penalties collected pursuant to this part must be deposited into the state special revenue account created pursuant to 37-7-1511 and must be used to defray the expenses of the board in establishing and maintaining the registry and in discharging its administrative and regulatory duties in relation to this part.
History: En. Sec. 14, Ch. 241, L. 2011.