50-65-101. Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Agent" means a person authorized by the department of revenue to purchase and affix stamps on packages of cigarettes.
(2) "Cigarette" means any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco, irrespective of size or shape and whether or not the tobacco is flavored, adulterated, or mixed with any other ingredient, the wrapper or cover of which is made of nontobacco paper or any other substance or material except tobacco.
(3) "Manufacturer" means:
(a) an entity that manufactures or otherwise produces cigarettes or causes cigarettes that the manufacturer intends to be sold in this state to be manufactured or produced anywhere, including cigarettes intended to be sold in the United States through an importer;
(b) the first purchaser anywhere that intends to resell in the United States cigarettes manufactured anywhere that the original manufacturer or maker does not intend to be sold in the United States; or
(c) an entity that becomes a successor of an entity described in subsections (3)(a) and (3)(b).
(4) "Quality control and quality assurance program" means the laboratory procedures implemented to ensure that operator bias, systemic and nonsystemic methodological errors, and equipment-related problems do not affect the results of testing. The program ensures that the testing repeatability remains within the required repeatability values provided in 50-65-102(2)(f) for all test trials used to certify cigarettes in accordance with this chapter.
(5) "Repeatability" means the range of values within which the repeat results of cigarette test trials from a single laboratory will fall 95% of the time.
(6) "Retail dealer" means a person, other than a manufacturer or wholesale dealer, engaged in selling cigarettes or tobacco products.
(7) "Sale" means any transfer of title of cigarettes for consideration, exchange, barter, gift, offer for sale, or distribution, in any manner or by any means.
(8) "Wholesale dealer" means a person who sells cigarettes or tobacco products to retail dealers or other persons for purposes of resale and a person who owns, operates, or maintains one or more cigarette or tobacco product vending machines in, at, or upon premises owned or occupied by any other person.
History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 318, L. 2007.