61-3-415. Special motorcycle license plates -- department to design -- fees -- distribution. (1) A Montana resident who is the owner of a motorcycle or quadricycle titled and registered under this chapter and who pays the fee required under subsection (2) may be issued a special motorcycle license plate bearing a design created by the department. The design must recognize the efforts of one or more Montana-based nonprofit organizations that grant wishes to chronically or critically ill Montana children.
(2) A person requesting a special motorcycle license plate under this section shall pay to the county treasurer or an authorized agent:
(a) an administrative fee of $5 upon issuance of the special license plate, to be deposited in the county general fund;
(b) a $5 license plate fee; and
(c) a donation fee of $20.
(3) The county treasurer or an authorized agent shall remit the fees required in subsections (2)(b) and (2)(c) to the department. For each special plate issued, the department shall deposit $5 in the state general fund and $20 in an account in the state special revenue fund to be used by the department as provided in subsection (4).
(4) The department shall use the money deposited in the account in the state special revenue fund as provided in subsection (3) to provide grants, using criteria established by the department, to Montana-based nonprofit organizations that grant wishes to Montana children who are chronically or critically ill.
(5) The department shall adopt rules to identify the entity or entities that may qualify for grants under this section and to establish the criteria that an entity must meet to receive grant funds.
(6) The account in the state special revenue fund provided for in subsection (3) is statutorily appropriated to the department, as provided in 17-7-502.
History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 533, L. 2003; amd. Sec. 74, Ch. 596, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 10, Ch. 196, L. 2013.