81-30-102. Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Animal" means any warmblooded or coldblooded animal lawfully confined for food, fur, or fiber production, agriculture and its related activities, research, testing, or education. The term includes but is not limited to dogs, cats, poultry, fish, and invertebrates.
(2) "Animal facility" includes a vehicle, building, structure, research facility, or premises where an animal is lawfully kept, handled, housed, exhibited, bred, or offered for sale.
(3) "Consent" means agreement in fact, whether express or apparent.
(4) "Deprive" means to:
(a) withhold an animal or other property from the owner permanently or for such a period of time that a major portion of the value or enjoyment of the animal or property is lost to the owner;
(b) restore the animal or other property only upon payment of reward or other compensation; or
(c) dispose of an animal or other property in a manner that makes recovery of the animal or property by the owner unlikely.
(5) "Effective consent" means consent by the owner or by a person legally authorized to act for the owner. Consent is not effective if it is:
(a) induced by force or threat;
(b) given by a person that the offender knows is not legally authorized to act for the owner; or
(c) given by a person who by reason of youth, mental disease or disorder, or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol is known by the offender to be unable to make reasonable decisions.
(6) "Notice" means:
(a) oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;
(b) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain animals; or
(c) a sign or signs posted on the property or at the entrance to a building that are reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders and that indicate that entry is forbidden.
(7) "Owner" means a person who has:
(a) title to the property; or
(b) lawful possession of the property.
(8) "Person" means an individual, state agency, corporation, association, nonprofit corporation, joint-stock company, firm, trust, partnership; two or more persons having a joint or common interest; or some other legal entity.
(9) "Possession" means actual care, custody, control, or management.
(10) "Research facility" means a place, laboratory, institution, medical care facility, elementary school, high school, college, or university at which a scientific test, experiment, or investigation involving the use of a living animal is lawfully carried out, conducted, or attempted.
History: En. Sec. 2, Ch. 205, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 26, Ch. 161, L. 2015.