80-11-510. Creation of commodity advisory committees. (1) The department may create commodity advisory committees subject to the following:
(a) Twenty-five or more producers of a commodity shall petition the department to create a commodity advisory committee. The format, information required, and criteria of valid petitions must be established by department rule.
(b) Within 60 days of receipt and verification of a qualified petition, the department shall hold a hearing to receive relevant input from growers, producers, and first purchasers regarding the proposed commodity advisory committee. The department shall advertise the hearing in areas where it is known the commodity is grown and in any applicable trade publication.
(2) Each advisory committee created under this section must be known as the "... advisory committee".
(3) The department shall prescribe the composition and advisory functions of each advisory committee created and appoint advisory committee members, who serve at the pleasure of the director. The majority of members on a crop or livestock commodity advisory committee must be producers of the commodity.
(4) Unless the advisory committee member is a full-time salaried officer or employee of this state or of any political subdivision of this state, each member is entitled to be paid an amount to be determined by the department, not to exceed the daily amount established in 2-15-122(5) for each day in which the member is actually and necessarily engaged in the performance of advisory committee duties. Each member is also entitled to be reimbursed for travel expenses, as provided for in 2-18-501 through 2-18-503, incurred while in the performance of advisory committee duties. Members who are full-time salaried officers or employees of this state or of any political subdivision of this state are not entitled to be compensated for their service as members, but are entitled to be reimbursed for travel expenses as provided for in 2-18-501 through 2-18-503.
(5) Unless otherwise specified by the department, at its first meeting each year, each advisory committee shall elect a presiding officer and other officers whom it considers necessary.
(6) Unless otherwise specified by the department, each advisory committee shall meet at least annually. An advisory committee shall also meet on the call of the department and may meet at other times on the call of the presiding officer or a majority of its members.
(7) A majority of the membership of an advisory committee constitutes a quorum to do business.
(8) In order for the creation of an advisory committee to be effective, the governor shall file in the governor's office and in the office of the secretary of state a record of the advisory committee created showing the advisory committee's:
(a) name, in accordance with subsection (2);
(c) names and addresses of the appointed members; and