23-2-601. Definition of terms. As used in this part, unless the context requires otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Certificate of registration" means the owner's receipt evidencing payment of fees due in order for the snowmobile to be validly registered.
(2) "Certificate of title" means the document issued by the department of justice as prima facie evidence of ownership.
(3) "dbA" means sound pressure level measured on the "A" weight scale in decibels.
(4) "Department" means the department of fish, wildlife, and parks of the state of Montana.
(5) "Mechanical transport" means any contrivance for moving a person over land that has moving parts and provides a mechanical advantage to the user.
(6) "New snowmobile" means a snowmobile that has not been previously sold to an owner.
(7) "Operator" includes each person who operates or is in actual physical control of the operation of a snowmobile.
(8) "Owner" includes each person, other than a lienholder or person having a security interest in a snowmobile, that holds a certificate of title to a snowmobile and is entitled to the use or possession of the snowmobile.
(9) "Person" means an individual, partnership, association, corporation, and any other body or group of persons, regardless of the degree of formal organization.
(10) "Registration decal" means an adhesive sticker produced and issued by the department of justice, its authorized agent, or a county treasurer to the owner of a snowmobile as proof of payment of all fees imposed for the registration period indicated on the sticker as recorded by the department of justice under 61-3-101.
(11) "Roadway" means only those portions of a highway, road, or street improved, designed, or ordinarily used for travel or parking of motor vehicles.
(12) "Snowmobile" means a self-propelled vehicle of an overall width of 48 inches or less, excluding accessories, designed for travel on snow or ice, that may be steered by skis or runners and that is not otherwise registered or licensed under the laws of the state of Montana.
(13) "Snowmobile area" means those areas designated as snowmobile trails or areas open to the operation of snowmobiles.
(14) "Snowmobile area operators" means those persons responsible for the maintenance of snowmobile trails and for the designation of open areas or those persons providing rental snowmobile equipment. Operators may include but are not limited to the United States forest service, the Montana department of fish, wildlife, and parks, the Montana snowmobile association, individual snowmobile clubs, landowners or their tenants, persons who offer snowmobile equipment for rent, and private trail grooming contractors.
(15) "Snowmobiler" means any person operating or riding a snowmobile.
History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 434, L. 1971; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 91, L. 1974; amd. Sec. 13, Ch. 417, L. 1977; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 421, L. 1977; R.C.M. 1947, 53-1012; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 218, L. 1979; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 363, L. 1979; amd. Sec. 21, Ch. 477, L. 2003; amd. Sec. 15, Ch. 592, L. 2003; amd. Sec. 25, Ch. 542, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 9, Ch. 329, L. 2007; amd. Sec. 8, Ch. 123, L. 2013; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 416, L. 2015.