23-2-636. Snowmobile trail pass -- fees -- penalties. (1) Except as provided in subsection (4), to be eligible to operate a snowmobile or use motorized equipment or mechanical transport in snowmobile areas groomed with a grant or funding assistance awarded by the department, a person shall first purchase a snowmobile trail pass for $18.
(2) The trail pass is valid for 3 years from the date of purchase and must be affixed in a conspicuous place to each snowmobile, motorized equipment, or mechanical transport used. A trail pass is not transferable between a snowmobile, motorized equipment, or mechanical transport.
(3) Application for the issuance of the trail pass must be made at locations and upon forms prescribed by the department.
(4) A person renting a snowmobile registered pursuant to 61-3-321(11)(b) is not required to purchase a snowmobile trail pass but shall carry proof of rental if operating a snowmobile in a snowmobile area that otherwise requires a trail pass pursuant to subsection (1).
(5) Money collected by payment of fees under this section must be deposited in the state special revenue fund to the credit of the department and used as follows:
(a) $2 must be remitted to the vendor who sold the trail pass if the vendor is not the department;
(b) $1 must be used for the enforcement of snowmobile laws pursuant to this part; and
(c) the remainder must be used by the department to award grants or funding assistance to snowmobile area operators for the grooming of snowmobile areas.
(6) The failure to affix the trail pass as required by this section or the making of false statements in obtaining the trail pass is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not less than $25 or more than $100.
History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 416, L. 2015.