House Bill No. 298
Introduced By r. johnson, swanson
A Bill for an Act entitled: "An Act providing for 2-year terms for members of the Health Care Advisory Council; providing that a member may serve three terms; extending the termination provision for the Health Care Advisory Council to the year 2001; amending section
50-4-203, MCA, and Section 25, Chapter 378, Laws of 1995; PROVIDING AN APPROPRIATION; and providing
immediate effective date DATES."
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Montana:
Section 1. Section 50-4-203, MCA, is amended to read:
"50-4-203. (Temporary) Health care advisory council. (1) There is a health care advisory council.
(2) The health care advisory council is composed of 10 members.
The members must be selected by May 1, 1995.
(a) There are four legislative members. Two members must be selected by the president of the senate from a pool of applicants from the senate, one representing each party. Two members must be selected by the speaker of the house from a pool of applicants from the house of representatives, one representing each party.
(b) There are five members, each representing a health care planning region as provided in 50-4-403, selected by the governor from a pool of applicants.
(c) There is one member representing the executive branch of government, appointed by the governor.
(3) Legislators and members who represent health care planning regions and who want to serve on the health care advisory council shall apply to the president of the senate, speaker of the house, or governor, respectively, for a position on the council. The application must include:
(a) a statement of the reason that the person wishes to serve on the council;
(b) the experience that qualifies the person to serve; and
(c) a statement of the person's willingness to commit the substantial time required to serve on the council.
(4) The members of the health care advisory council shall elect a presiding officer from among the members.
(5) A vacancy on the health care advisory council must be filled in the same manner as the original appointment.
(6) Each member shall serve a term of 2 years. A member may not serve more than three terms.
(Terminates June 30,
1997 2001 --sec. 25, Ch. 378, L. 1995.)"
NEW SECTION. SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION. THERE IS APPROPRIATED TO THE DEPARTMENT OF
PUBLIC HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES FOR THE 1999 BIENNIUM $80,000 FROM THE FEDERAL SPECIAL
REVENUE FUND AND $20,000 FROM THE STATE SPECIAL REVENUE FUND FOR THE PURPOSE OF
FUNDING THE HEALTH CARE ADVISORY COUNCIL.
ANY MATCHING FUNDS REQUIRED FROM THE
STATE GENERAL FUND MAY BE PROVIDED THE DEPARTMENT SHALL PROVIDE FOR ANY REQUIRED
MATCHING FUNDS FROM THE DEPARTMENT'S GENERAL FUND APPROPRIATION CONTAINED IN HOUSE
BILL NO. 2 PRIOR TO USING THE GENERAL FUND APPROPRIATIONS FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE. THE
LEGISLATURE RECOGNIZES THE VALUE OF ONGOING OVERSIGHT OF THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM AND
DIRECTS THE DEPARTMENT TO AGGRESSIVELY PURSUE FUNDS TO MEET MATCHING FUND
Section 3. Section 25, Chapter 378, Laws of 1995, is amended to read:
"Section 25. Termination. [Sections 1, 2(4), and 3 through 8] terminate June 30,
NEW SECTION. Section 4. Effective
date. DATES. [This (1) EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION (2), [THIS
act] is effective on passage and approval.
(2) [SECTION 2] IS EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 1997.