_________ Bill No. _______
Introduced By _______________________________________________________________________________
A Bill for an Act entitled: "An Act requiring an elector to provide the elector's social security number when registering, transferring registration, or changing registration information; requiring an elector to present the elector's voter's registration card or photographic identification before voting; and amending sections 13-2-114, 13-2-511, 13-2-515, and 13-2-601, MCA."
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Montana:
Section 1. Section 13-2-114, MCA, is amended to read:
"13-2-114. Registration numbers to be assigned -- social security numbers to be provided. (1) The registration form
for each elector
shall must be assigned a number by the election administrator , using a system of numbering that best
accommodates the filing system and list preparation method used. The election administrator may adopt the use of the
elector's social security number as the registration number. If social security numbers are used, they may not be printed on
lists of registered voters or released as public information.
(2) If social security numbers are used as the registration number, the election administrator may assign an alternative
number for any elector who does not have a social security number or who declines to provide the number. A system of
assigning alternative numbers
shall must be developed in consultation with the secretary of state.
(3) Upon receipt by the election administrator of a properly completed registration card, the registration of the elector is complete and the election administrator shall assign a registration number.
(4) The registration form must require that an elector provide the elector's social security number. Each election administrator shall ensure that social security numbers remain confidential and not available as public information."
Section 2. Section 13-2-511, MCA, is amended to read:
"13-2-511. Transferring registration or changing name. (1) An elector shall notify the election administrator of a change in residence within the county or a change in name by using a transfer form provided by the election administrator or by completing the changed information on a registration or mail registration form. The form must be signed and affirmed or verified as required on the form. If a registration or mail registration form is used, it must be clearly marked "for transfer of address" or "for change of name" in a space provided on the form for that purpose.
(2) Pursuant to 13-2-114(4), an elector shall provide the elector's social security number."
Section 3. Section 13-2-515, MCA, is amended to read:
"13-2-515. Inquiry as to previous registration -- notices of changes. (1) The election administrator shall check each
new registration and corresponding social security number to ascertain whether the elector has listed previous registration
in another county of this state or another state. If the elector has been previously registered, the election administrator shall
his the elector's name on a notice or may photocopy the registration form.
(2) At least once a week and not more than 3 days after the close of registration, the election administrator shall forward
the notices or photocopies for counties in this state to the election administrator of the county where the elector was
previously registered. A list or other record
shall must be kept of notices or photocopies sent.
(3) Once a month and not more than 3 days after the close of registration, the election administrator shall forward the notices or photocopies for other states to the secretary of state or chief election official of the state where the elector was previously registered. A list or other record shall be kept of notices or photocopies sent."
Section 4. Section 13-2-601, MCA, is amended to read:
"13-2-601. Name on precinct register prima facie evidence of right to vote -- identification required. (1) An elector
may not vote at an election mentioned in this title unless
his the elector's name appears on election day in the copy of the
official precinct register furnished by the election administrator to the election judges. The Subject to subsection (3), the
fact that his the elector's name appears in the copy of the precinct register is prima facie evidence of his the elector's right to
(2) The name of an elector who has been assigned to vote in a precinct other than the precinct in which
he the elector is
registered, as provided in 13-3-213, must be printed on a special addendum to the precinct register in a form prescribed by
the secretary of state. The Subject to subsection (3), the fact that an elector's name appears on a special addendum to the
precinct register is prima facie evidence of his the elector's right to vote in the precinct.
(3) (a) Before an elector may vote, the elector shall present to an election judge a voter's registration card or one form of photographic identification, including but not limited to a:
(i) driver's license;
(ii) state identification card;
(iii) tribal identification card;
(v) student identification card;
(vi) workplace identification card; or
(vii) credit or debit card with a photograph.
(b) For the purposes of this section, expired photographic identification is valid identification."