46-18-222. Exceptions to mandatory minimum sentences and restrictions on deferred imposition and suspended execution of sentence. All mandatory minimum sentences prescribed by the laws of this state and 46-18-219 and the restrictions on deferred imposition and suspended execution of sentence prescribed by 46-18-201(5) through (7), 46-18-221(3), 46-18-224, and 46-18-502(3) do not apply if:
(1) the defendant was less than 18 years of age at the time of the commission of the offense for which the defendant is to be sentenced;
(2) the defendant's mental capacity, at the time of the commission of the offense for which the defendant is to be sentenced, was significantly impaired, although not so impaired as to constitute a defense to the prosecution. However, a voluntarily induced intoxicated or drugged condition may not be considered an impairment for the purposes of this subsection.
(3) the defendant, at the time of the commission of the offense for which the defendant is to be sentenced, was acting under unusual and substantial duress, although not such duress as would constitute a defense to the prosecution;
(4) the defendant was an accomplice, the conduct constituting the offense was principally the conduct of another, and the defendant's participation was relatively minor;
(5) in a case in which the threat of bodily injury or actual infliction of bodily injury is an actual element of the crime, no serious bodily injury was inflicted on the victim unless a weapon was used in the commission of the offense; or
(6) the offense was committed under 45-5-502(3) and the court determines that treatment of the defendant in a local community affords a better opportunity for rehabilitation of the defendant and for the ultimate protection of the victim and society, in which case the court shall include in its judgment a statement of the reasons for its determination.
History: En. 95-2206.18 by Sec. 14, Ch. 584, L. 1977; R.C.M. 1947, 95-2206.18; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 322, L. 1979; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 396, L. 1979; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 207, L. 1981; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 327, L. 1981; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 392, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 532, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 105, Ch. 370, L. 1987; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 564, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 46, Ch. 262, L. 1993; amd. Sec. 12, Ch. 125, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 14, Ch. 482, L. 1995.