37-19-402. Operator's license requirements -- facility inspections -- transfer of license to new facility. (1) The operation of a mortuary is prohibited by anyone not holding a mortician's or funeral director's license.
(2) A license to operate a new mortuary facility in Montana may be issued only if the proposed mortuary facility meets standards for operating mortuaries adopted by the board.
(3) (a) An applicant for a license to operate a new mortuary shall send to the department a written and verified application on a form prescribed by the board. The application must be accompanied by an initial inspection fee.
(b) The department shall inspect the proposed new mortuary and report its findings to the board.
(4) The board shall grant a license if the department determines that the proposed new facility meets the standards adopted by the board and will be operated by a person who has been issued a mortician's or a funeral director's license.
(5) The board may grant a temporary license to a mortuary until the initial inspection is completed.
(6) A mortuary license may be transferred from one facility to another only when the proprietor of a licensed facility terminates services at the licensed facility and commences services at a new facility. The new facility must be inspected and must meet standards for operating mortuaries.
(7) A mortuary may be inspected by members of the board or their representatives during business hours.
History: En. Sec. 13, Ch. 41, L. 1963; R.C.M. 1947, 66-2713(4); amd. Sec. 4, Ch. 298, L. 1989.