80-20-102. Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Consent" means agreement in fact, whether express or apparent.
(2) "Crop" means a product grown, developed, or raised for purposes including but not limited to human or animal consumption, research, industrial use, commercial use, or pharmacological use.
(3) "Deprive" means to:
(a) withhold a crop or other property from the owner permanently or for such a period of time that a major portion of the value or enjoyment of the crop or property is lost to the owner;
(b) restore the crop or other property only upon payment of reward or other compensation; or
(c) dispose of a crop or other property in a manner that makes recovery of the crop or property by the owner unlikely.
(4) "Effective consent" means consent by the owner or by a person legally authorized to act for the owner. Consent is not effective if it is:
(a) induced by force or threat;
(b) given by a person who the person to whom it is given knows is not legally authorized to act for the owner; or
(c) given by a person who by reason of youth, mental disease or defect, or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol is known by the person to whom it is given to be unable to make reasonable decisions.
(5) "Notice" means:
(a) oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;
(b) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain crops; or
(c) a sign or signs posted on the property or at the entrance to a building that are reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders and that indicate that entry is forbidden.
(6) "Owner" means a person who has:
(a) title to the property; or
(b) lawful possession of the property.
(7) "Person" means an individual, state agency, corporation, association, nonprofit corporation, joint-stock company, firm, trust, or partnership; two or more persons having a joint or common interest; or some other legal entity.
(8) "Possession" means actual care, custody, control, or management.
(9) "Research facility" means a public or private place, laboratory, institution, medical care facility, elementary school, high school, college, or university at which a scientific test, experiment, or investigation involving the use of a crop is lawfully carried out, conducted, or attempted.
History: En. Sec. 2, Ch. 441, L. 2001.