19-50-101. Definitions. For the purposes of this chapter, unless a different meaning is plainly implied by the context, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Administrator" or "board" means the public employees' retirement board created in 2-15-1009 or an appropriate officer of a political subdivision.
(2) "Deferred compensation" means the income that an employee may legally defer in a deferred compensation plan established under this chapter pursuant to the rulings of the internal revenue service and that, while invested, is exempt from state and federal income tax on the employee's contribution and on the interest, dividends, and capital gains until ultimately distributed to the employee.
(3) "Eligible deferred compensation plan" means a plan meeting the requirements of section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. 457.
(4) "Employee" means any person, including independent contractors and elected officials, receiving compensation from the state or a political subdivision for performing services.
(5) "Fund" means the state deferred compensation investment account.
(6) "Participant" means either an employee who is enrolled or a previous employee who remains enrolled in an eligible deferred compensation plan established under this chapter.
(7) "Political subdivision" means any city, town, county, or other political subdivision of the state of Montana, including the Montana university system.
(8) "Roth account" means a separate account within a deferred compensation plan established under this chapter that is composed of after-tax contributions made pursuant to section 402A of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. 402A.
(9) "Roth deferral" means an after-tax contribution by a participant to the participant's deferred compensation account.