2017 Montana Legislature
Additional Bill Links PDF version
SENATE BILL NO. 135
INTRODUCED BY E. MCCLAFFERTY, M. CAFERRO, A. CURTIS, S. MALEK, G. PIERSON, J. PRICE, G. VUCKOVICH, C. WOLKEN
AN ACT ENCOURAGING SCHOOL DISTRICTS TO PROVIDE A PROGRAM OF STUDY IN FIRST AID, CARDIOPULMONARY RESUSCITATION, AND THE USE OF AUTOMATED EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATORS; REQUIRING THE OFFICE OF PUBLIC INSTRUCTION TO PROVIDE GUIDANCE AND SUPPORT TO SCHOOL DISTRICTS; AND PROVIDING AN IMMEDIATE EFFECTIVE DATE.
WHEREAS, the Legislature finds that protecting citizens from serious injury and death is a compelling state interest; and
WHEREAS, sudden cardiac arrest is a leading cause of death in the United States with only a 7-9% survival rate; and
WHEREAS, bystander CPR can greatly increase survival rates of sudden cardiac arrest; and
WHEREAS, training all high school graduates in CPR will add thousands of trained rescuers to the population each year; and
WHEREAS, this training requires minimal time and cost; and
WHEREAS, numerous individuals and organizations are willing to support schools in providing this training.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. First aid training in schools. (1) The office of public instruction shall, in consultation with school districts, the department of public health and human services, the American heart association, and the American red cross, provide guidance and technical support and make available a program of study to Montana schools on:
(a) basic first aid;
(b) basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation; and
(c) the use of automated external defibrillators.
(2) The guidance and program of study under subsection (1) must comply with current evidence-based guidance from the American heart association or another national science organization. The office of public instruction shall annually notify high school and K-12 school districts during the month of August in writing or electronically of the availability and any updating of the guidance and program of study under subsection (1).
(3) School districts are encouraged to incorporate the program of study under subsection (1) during health enhancement courses during high school as required in the accreditation standards and to include in the program of study hands-on practicing of cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
(4) A school district and the office of public instruction may accept from any person, public entity, or other legal entity in-kind donations of materials, equipment, or services that may be used in the program of study under subsection (1).
(5) The office of public instruction, in consultation with the department of public health and human services, shall assist districts in carrying out a program under this section, including providing guidelines and advice for seeking grants for the purchase of automated external defibrillators or seeking donations of automated external defibrillators. The office of public instruction may coordinate with local health districts or other organizations in seeking grants and donations for this purpose.
(6) A school district may use any of the following persons to provide instruction and training pursuant to this section:
(a) emergency medical technicians;
(c) fire department personnel;
(d) police officers;
(e) representatives of the American heart association;
(f) representatives of the American red cross;
(h) other school employees; and
(i) other similarly qualified persons.
Section 2. Codification instruction. [Section 1] is intended to be codified as an integral part of Title 20, chapter 7, part 13, and the provisions of Title 20, chapter 7, part 13, apply to [section 1].
Section 3. Effective date. [This act] is effective on passage and approval.
- END -
Version of SB 135 (SB0135.ENR)
Processed for the Web on March 29, 2017 (8:09pm)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted.
See the status of this bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill | 2017 Legislature | Leg. Branch
All versions of all bills (PDF format)
Authorized print version of this bill (PDF format)
[ NEW SEARCH ]
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services