2019 Montana Legislature
Additional Bill Links PDF (with line numbers)
HOUSE BILL NO. 227
INTRODUCED BY F. MANDEVILLE
A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: "AN ACT REMOVING THE RESTRICTIONS ON CERTAIN ANIMALS AS PETS; EXPANDING RULEMAKING AUTHORITY; AND AMENDING SECTIONS 50-23-101 AND 50-23-102, MCA."
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. Section 50-23-101, MCA, is amended to read:
"50-23-101. Definitions. Unless the context requires otherwise, in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Department of livestock" means the department of livestock provided for in Title 2, chapter 15, part 31.
(2) "Department of public health and human services" means the department of public health and human services provided for in 2-15-2201.
(3) "Person" means an individual, group of individuals, partnership, corporation, firm, or association.
(4) "Wild animal" means a skunk, fox, raccoon, or bat. Other species of normally nondomesticated animals known to be capable of transmitting rabies may be added to this list through the adoption of rules by the department of public health and human services, with the approval of the department of livestock.
(5) "Vaccinated animal" means a member of a species of typically nondomesticated animals that is born in captivity and vaccinated against rabies based on a vaccination schedule adopted by the department of public health and human services."
Section 2. Section 50-23-102, MCA, is amended to read:
"50-23-102. Prohibition of possession of wild animals -- exceptions. A person may not possess a wild animal unless:
(1) the person possessed it for at least 6 months prior to January 1, 1982;, or
(2) it is used in a fur-bearing enterprise;,
(3) it is contained in a zoological exhibition in a manner that it may not come in into physical contact with members of the public;,
(4) it is a vaccinated animal, as defined in 50-23-101, for which the owner maintains proof of the animal's captive breeding and vaccination against rabies; or
(5) it is acquired by an educational institution for scientific research."
- END -
Latest Version of HB 227
Processed for the Web on January 16, 2019 (7:58pm)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted.
See the status of this bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill | 2019 Legislature | Leg. Branch
All versions of this bill (PDF format)
Authorized print version of this bill w/line numbers (PDF format)
[ NEW SEARCH ]
Prepared by Montana