2019 Montana Legislature
Additional Bill Links PDF (with line numbers)
HOUSE BILL NO. 508
INTRODUCED BY J. BACHMEIER
A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: "AN ACT REVISING LAWS RELATED TO VOTER REGISTRATION FOR UNDERAGE INDIVIDUALS; PROVIDING THAT AN INDIVIDUAL WHO IS AT LEAST 16 YEARS OF AGE MAY PREREGISTER AND BE AUTOMATICALLY REGISTERED UPON ATTAINING 18 YEARS OF AGE; SPECIFYING NOTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS; AND AMENDING SECTIONS 13-2-110 AND 13-2-205, MCA."
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. Section 13-2-110, MCA, is amended to read:
"13-2-110. Application for voter registration -- sufficiency and verification of information -- identifiers assigned for voting purposes. (1) An individual may apply for voter registration in person or by mail, postage paid, by completing and signing the standard application form for voter registration provided for in 13-1-210 and providing the application to the election administrator in the county in which the elector resides.
(2) Each application for voter registration must be accepted and processed as provided in rules adopted under 13-2-109.
(3) Except as provided in subsection (4):
(a) an applicant for voter registration shall provide the applicant's Montana driver's license number; or
(b) if the applicant does not have a Montana driver's license, the applicant shall provide the last four digits of the applicant's social security number.
(4) (a) If an applicant does not have a Montana driver's license or social security number, the applicant shall provide as an alternative form of identification:
(i) a current and valid photo identification, including but not limited to a school district or postsecondary education photo identification or a tribal photo identification, with the individual's name; or
(ii) a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check, or other government document that shows the individual's name and current address.
(b) The alternative form of identification must be:
(i) an original version presented to the election administrator if the applicant is applying in person; or
(ii) a copy of any of the required documents, which must be enclosed with the application, if the applicant is applying by mail.
(5) (a) If information provided on an application for voter registration is sufficient to be accepted and processed and is verified pursuant to rules adopted under 13-2-109, the election administrator shall register the elector as a legally registered elector.
(b) If information provided on an application for voter registration was sufficient to be accepted but the applicant failed to provide the information required in subsection (3) or (4) or if the information provided was incorrect or insufficient to verify the individual's identity or eligibility to vote, the election administrator shall register the applicant as a provisionally registered elector.
(6) Each applicant for voter registration must be notified of the elector's registration status pursuant to rules adopted under 13-2-109.
(7) The secretary of state shall assign to each elector whose application was accepted a unique identification number for voting purposes and shall establish a statewide uniform method to allow the secretary of state and local election officials to distinguish legally registered electors from provisionally registered electors.
(8) The provisions of this section may not be interpreted to conflict with voter registration accomplished under 13-2-221, 13-21-221, and 61-5-107 and as provided for in federal law.
(9) An individual who is 16 years of age or older must be allowed to preregister as provided in 13-2-205."
Section 2. Section 13-2-205, MCA, is amended to read:
"13-2-205. Procedure when prospective elector not qualified at time of registration -- preregistration. (1) An individual who is not eligible to register because of residence or age requirements but who will be eligible on or before election day may apply for voter registration pursuant to 13-2-110 and be registered subject to verification procedures established pursuant to 13-2-109.
(2) (a) An individual who is 16 years of age or older may apply for preregistration as provided in 13-2-110.
(b) Upon receiving an application for voter registration pursuant to subsection (2)(a), the county election administrator shall notify the individual if additional information is required or preregister the individual and notify the individual that the individual has been successfully preregistered. The statewide voter registration system must be updated accordingly and capable of listing individuals preregistered under this subsection (2) as pending registration.
(c) A preregistered individual may update the individual's voter registration information at any time, subject to 13-2-301 and 13-2-304, and the statewide voter registration system must be updated accordingly.
(d) On attaining 18 years of age, an individual who has preregistered pursuant to this subsection (2) and who has provided all required voter registration information to be a legally registered elector may no longer be listed in the statewide voter registration database as having a pending registration and must automatically become a legally registered elector.
(e) At least 60 days before an election, the election administrator shall provide a confirmation notice to each preregistered elector who will attain 18 years of age by election day. The notice must be given in the same manner as provided in 13-2-207."
- END -
Latest Version of HB 508 (HB0508.01)
Processed for the Web on February 15, 2019 (7:12pm)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted.
See the status of this bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill | 2019 Legislature | Leg. Branch Home
All versions of this bill (PDF format)
Authorized print version of this bill w/line numbers (PDF format)
[ NEW SEARCH ]
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services