HOUSE BILL NO. 586
INTRODUCED BY B. HAMLETT, Z. BROWN, E. BUTTREY, W. CURDY, A. DOANE, J. ELLSWORTH, T. GAUTHIER, B. GRUBBS, S. GUNDERSON, J. KEANE, M. LANG, T. MANZELLA, W. MCKAMEY, D. SALOMON, R. SHAW, G. VANCE, R. WEBB, S. WEBBER, T. WELCH, K. WHITE
AN ACT REVISING LAWS RELATED TO STATE LABORATORIES; PROVIDING AN EXCEPTION TO VOTE AND LONG-RANGE BUILDING PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTAIN LABORATORIES; REQUIRING DEVELOPMENT OF A PLAN; PROVIDING FOR AN ADVISORY COMMITTEE; AMENDING SECTION 18-3-101, MCA; AND PROVIDING AN IMMEDIATE EFFECTIVE DATE.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
"18-3-101. Authority to lease with option to purchase. (1) When Except as provided in subsection (2), when authorized by a vote of two-thirds of the members of each house of the legislature, the department of administration may, as part of the long-range building program, enter into a lease contract that provides an option to purchase a building to be used by the state or any department of state government.
(2) A vote of two-thirds of the members of each house of the legislature and inclusion in the long-range building program is not required for a lease contract that provides an option to purchase if the building will be used for colocated laboratory space that will include facilities that conduct animal health testing for pathogens that could impact public health."
Section 2. Department of administration required to develop plan -- advisory committee. (1) The department of administration shall develop a plan for a lease contract that provides an option to purchase for a colocated laboratory for facilities that conduct animal testing for pathogens that could impact public health.
(2) The department of administration shall organize an advisory committee composed of the following:
(a) two members of the house of representatives, one from the majority and one from the minority, appointed by the speaker of the house;
(b) two members of the senate, one from the majority and one from the minority, appointed by the committee on committees;
(c) a person appointed by the executive officer of the department of livestock knowledgeable in the veterinary diagnostic laboratory;
(d) a person appointed by the director of the department of fish, wildlife, and parks knowledgeable in the wildlife laboratory;
(e) a person appointed by the director of the department of agriculture knowledgeable in the analytical laboratory; and
(f) two members appointed by the president of Montana state university-Bozeman, one person representing the university and one person representing MSU extension.
(3) The department of administration shall assist the advisory committee in investigating a process to develop a lease contract.
(4) The director of the department of administration may invite additional federal, state, or private stakeholders to participate in the meetings of the advisory committee. The department may request assistance from the legislative fiscal division and the legislative services division regarding past studies and information on the state labs, including the results of the study commissioned by Chapter 352, Laws of 2017.
(5) The department of administration shall report:
(a) on a quarterly basis to the environmental quality council and the economic affairs interim committee about the progress of the advisory committee; and
(b) submit findings to each committee by September 1, 2020.
Section 3. Effective date. [This act] is effective on passage and approval.
- END -
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted.
See the status of this bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services