HOUSE BILL NO. 754
INTRODUCED BY S. VINTON, J. BACHMEIER
AN ACT CREATING THE MONTANA UNIVERSITY SYSTEM 2-YEAR EDUCATION RESTRUCTURING REVIEW COMMISSION; PROVIDING FOR COMMISSION MEMBERS AND DUTIES; PROVIDING AN APPROPRIATION; AND PROVIDING EFFECTIVE DATES AND A TERMINATION DATE.
WHEREAS, the Board of Regents and the Legislature incorporated the vocational-technical institutions into the Montana University System over 25 years ago; and
WHEREAS, enrollment at 2-year colleges remains relatively low compared to other states; and
WHEREAS, a reexamination of the structure of 2-year education in Montana is warranted.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. Montana university system restructuring review commission -- membership. (1) There is a Montana university system restructuring review commission. The commission is allocated to the legislative services division for staffing services and administrative purposes only.
(2) The commission consists of the following members:
(a) four members of the house of representatives, two of whom must be appointed by the speaker of the house and two of whom must be appointed by the house minority leader;
(b) four members of the senate, two of whom must be appointed by the senate president and two of whom must be appointed by the senate minority leader;
(c) two members of the board of regents, appointed by the presiding officer of the board of regents;
(d) a member of the board of public education, appointed by the presiding officer of the board of public education;
(e) the president of Montana associated students, or the president's designee;
(f) two members appointed by the governor, one of whom must be a representative of the tribal colleges; and
(g) two members of the public, one of whom must be appointed by the senate president, and one of whom must be appointed by the speaker of the house.
(3) Appointments under subsection (2) must be made within 60 days after [the effective date of this act].
(4) A vacancy on the commission must be filled in the same manner as the original appointment.
(5) The commission shall select a presiding officer from among its legislative members.
(6) The commission shall meet at least quarterly.
(7) Decisions of the commission must be made by majority vote of the commission members.
(8) Members of the commission must be compensated as provided in 2-15-124 and must be reimbursed for travel expenses as provided in 2-18-501 through 2-18-503. Members of the commission who are full-time salaried officers or employees of this state or of any political subdivision of this state are entitled to their regular compensation. Legislator members must be compensated as provided in 5-2-302.
(9) The legislative services division shall provide staff assistance to the commission. The legislative fiscal division, the governor's office of budget and program planning, and the Montana university system shall provide information upon request.
Section 2. Duties. The commission shall:
(1) review the history and reasons for the Montana university system incorporating vocational-technical institutions in the system;
(2) analyze the impacts of the restructuring on the efficiency and effectiveness of 2-year education in the university system;
(3) consider how the university system addresses student demand for career and technical education training within its 2-year colleges;
(4) examine the potential for restructuring 2-year education in the Montana university system to enhance offerings in career and technical education;
(5) review the governance and organizational structures of university systems in other states and consider whether a different structure would lead to a more effective and efficient university system in Montana; and
(6) prepare a report of findings and recommendations for submission to the 67th legislature.
Section 3. Appropriation. There is appropriated $57,000 from the general fund to the legislative services division for fiscal years 2020 and 2021 for the purposes of funding the commission and the study as provided in [sections 1 and 2].
Section 4. Contingent voidness. (1) Pursuant to Joint Rule 40-65, if [this act] does not include an appropriation prior to being transmitted to the governor, then [this act] is void.
(2) If the appropriation in [section 3] is vetoed, then [this act] is void.
Section 5. Effective dates. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), [this act] is effective on passage and approval.
(2) [Section 3] is effective July 1, 2019.
Section 6. Termination. [This act] terminates June 30, 2021.
- END -
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted.
See the status of this bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services