INTRODUCED BY M. Cuffe, E. Buttrey, D. Skees, D. Salomon, J. Read, S. Fitzpatrick, R. Osmundson, D. Kary, T. McGillvray, D. Howard, K. Regier, C. Smith, G. Vance, J. Welborn, B. Hoven, M. Blasdel, D. Ankney, L. Jones, B. Keenan, B. Molnar, C. Glimm, G. Hertz, M. Lang, D. Lenz, W. Galt, S. Berglee, B. Brown, F. Garner, J. Hinkle, K. Holmlund, T. Manzella, W. McKamey, M. Noland, B. Tschida, S. Hinebauch, S. Gunderson, M. Regier, D. Loge, R. Fitzgerald, F. Anderson, L. Sheldon-Galloway, J. Trebas, D. Bartel, C. Knudsen, B. Usher, S. Vinton, W. Sales, T. Welch, J. Small, T. Gauthier, M. Hopkins, R. Tempel, F. Fleming, J. Ellsworth, N. Duram, J. Fuller, R. Knudsen, J. Dooling, K. Bogner, J. Kassmier, B. Mercer, T. Moore, D. Bedey, S. Greef, B. Ler, B. Phalen, F. Nave, J. Carlson, L. Brewster, K. Zolnikov, B. Mitchell, A. Regier, L. Reksten, P. Fielder, S. Kerns, S. Galloway, S. Gist, E. Hill, J. Schillinger, K. Seekins-Crowe, M. Stromswold, M. Malone, J. Gillette, C. Hinkle, K. Walsh, M. Bertoglio, G. Frazer, M. Binkley, R. Marshall, K. Whitman
A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: "AN ACT GENERALLY REVISING VOTER IDENTIFICATION LAWS; REvising certain identification requirements for voter registration, voting, and provisional voting; AND AMENDING SECTIONS 13-2-110, 13-13-114, AND 13-13-602, MCA."
"13-2-110. Application for voter registration -- sufficiency and verification of information -- identifiers assigned for voting purposes. (1) An individual may apply for voter registration in person or by mail, postage paid, by completing and signing the standard application form for voter registration provided for in 13-1-210 and providing the application to the election administrator in the county in which the elector resides.
(b)(d) if the applicant does not have a Montana driver's license, the applicant shall provide the last four digits of the applicant's social security number the last four digits of the applicant's social security number.
(4) (a) If an applicant does not have a Montana driver's license or social security number identification or information in accordance with subsection (3), the applicant shall provide as an alternative form of identification:
(i) a current and valid photo identification, including but not limited to a school district or postsecondary education photo identification or a tribal photo identification, with the individual's name; or and
(5) (a) If information provided on an application for voter registration is sufficient to be accepted and processed and is verified pursuant to rules adopted under 13-2-109, the election administrator shall register the elector as a legally registered elector.
(b) If information provided on an application for voter registration was sufficient to be accepted but the applicant failed to provide the information required in subsection (3) or (4) or if the information provided was incorrect or insufficient to verify the individual's identity or eligibility to vote, the election administrator shall register the applicant as a provisionally registered elector.
(7) The secretary of state shall assign to each elector whose application was accepted a unique identification number for voting purposes and shall establish a statewide uniform method to allow the secretary of state and local election officials to distinguish legally registered electors from provisionally registered electors.
"13-13-114. Voter identification and marking precinct register book before elector votes -- provisional voting. (1) (a) Before Except as provided in subsections (1)(b) and (1)(c), before an elector is permitted to receive a ballot or vote, the elector shall present to an election judge a one of the following forms of current photo identification showing the elector's name. If the elector does not present photo identification, including but not limited to : a valid Montana driver's license, or valid state identification card, valid military identification card, or valid tribal photo identification card.
(i) a school district or postsecondary education photo identification, or a tribal photo identification, the elector shall present a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, notice of confirmation of voter registration issued pursuant to 13-2-207, government check, or other government document that shows the elector's name and current address; and
(c)(e) If the information provided in this subsection (1)(a) (1) differs from information in the precinct register but an election judge determines that the information provided is sufficient to verify the voter's identity and eligibility to vote pursuant to 13-2-512, the elector may sign the precinct register, complete a new registration form to correct the elector's voter registration information, and vote.
(2) If the information presented under subsection (1) is insufficient to verify the elector's identity and eligibility to vote or if the elector's name does not appear in the precinct register or appears in the register as provisionally registered and this provisional registration status cannot be resolved at the polling place, the elector may sign the precinct register and cast a provisional ballot as provided in 13-13-601.
(3) If the elector fails or refuses to sign the elector's name or if the elector is disabled and a fingerprint, an identifying mark, or a signature by a person authorized to sign for the elector pursuant to 13-1-116 is not provided, the elector may cast a provisional ballot as provided in 13-13-601."
"13-13-602. Fail-safe and provisional voting by mail. (1) To ensure the election administrator has information sufficient to determine the elector's eligibility to vote, an elector voting by mail may enclose in the outer signature envelope, together with the voted ballot in the secrecy envelope, a copy of a current and valid photo identification with the elector's name. The photo identification may be but is not limited to from the following list: a valid Montana driver's license, or valid state identification card, valid military identification card, or valid tribal photo identification card. If the elector does not enclose a copy of a valid photo identification from this list, the elector may enclose: or
(a) a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, notice of confirmation of voter registration issued pursuant to 13-2-207, government check, or other government document that shows the elector's name and current address or other information necessary to determine the elector's eligibility to vote; and
NEW SECTION. Section 5. Severability. If a part of [this act] is invalid, all valid parts that are severable from the invalid part remain in effect. If a part of [this act] is invalid in one or more of its applications, the part remains in effect in all valid applications that are severable from the invalid applications.
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted.
See the status of this bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services