House bill NO. 286
INTRODUCED BY M. Caferro, J. Gross, S. Stewart Peregoy
By Request of the ****
A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: "AN ACT MAKING SUICIDE PREVENTION PROGRAMS AN ALLOWABLE USE OF FUNDS FROM THE HEALING AND ENDING ADDICTION THROUGH RECOVERY AND TREATMENT ACCOUNT; AMENDING SECTIONS 16-12-122 AND 53-21-1111, MCA; AND PROVIDING AN immediate EFFECTIVE DATE.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. Section 16-12-122, MCA, is amended to read:
"16-12-122. Healing and ending addiction through recovery and treatment account. (1) There is a healing and ending addiction through recovery and treatment account in the state special revenue fund. The account consists of money transferred to the account pursuant to 16-12-111.
(2) Revenue in the account must be used to provide statewide programs for:
(a) substance use disorder prevention;
(b) youth suicide prevention;
(b)(c) mental health promotion; and
(c)(d) crisis, treatment, and recovery services for substance use and mental health disorders.
(3) The programs must be designed to:
(a) increase the number of individuals choosing treatment over incarceration;
(b) improve access to, utilization of, and engagement and retention in prevention, treatment, and recovery support services;
(c) expand the availability of community-based services that reflect best practices or are evidence-based;
(d) leverage additional federal funds when available for the healthy Montana kids plan provided for in Title 53, chapter 4, part 11, and the medicaid program provided for in Title 53, chapter 6, for the purposes of this section;
(e) provide funding for programs and services that are described in subsections (2)(a) through (2)(c) and provided on an Indian reservation located in this state; or
(f) provide funding for grants and services to tribes for use in accordance with this section.
(4) (a) An amount not to exceed $500,000, including eligible federal matching sources when applicable, must be used to provide funding for grants and services to tribes for tobacco prevention and cessation, substance use disorder prevention, mental health promotion, and substance use disorder and mental health crisis, treatment, and recovery services.
(b) The department of public health and human services shall manage the programs funded by the special revenue account and shall adopt rules to implement the programs.
(5) The legislature shall appropriate money from the state special revenue account provided for in this section for the programs referred to in this section.
(6) Programs funded under this section must be funded through contracted services with service providers."
Section 2. Section 53-21-1111, MCA, is amended to read:
"53-21-1111. Suicide prevention grants. (1) The department shall administer a grant program from funds appropriated by the legislature for suicide prevention activities pursuant to this section.
(2) (a) To be eligible for a grant under this section, an entity shall demonstrate credible evidence to the department that the activity to be funded is effective in preventing suicide.
(b) An activity must be considered effective if it meets one or more of the following criteria:
(i) it has been cited as effective by peer-reviewed research or literature;
(ii) it was a formally adopted recommendation of the Montana suicide review team established in section 3, Chapter 353, Laws of 2013; or
(iii) it increases knowledge of and response to adverse childhood experiences.
(3) The requirements of this section apply to youth suicide prevention programs funded with money from the healing and ending addiction through recovery and treatment account provided for in 16-12-122."
Section 3. Effective date. [This act] is effective on passage and approval.
Latest Version of HB 286
Processed for the Web on March 23, 2023 (1:19PM)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted.
See the status of this bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill
Leg. Branch Home
All versions of this bill (PDFformat)
Authorized print version of this bill (PDFformat)
[ NEW SEARCH ]
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services