About Bill -- Links
HOUSE BILL NO. 139
INTRODUCED BY HARPER H
BY REQUEST OF THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
AN ACT CHANGING FROM MONTHLY TO QUARTERLY THE FREQUENCY WITH WHICH LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS AND COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS DEALERS MUST FILE TAX RETURNS; AMENDING SECTIONS 15-70-704 AND 15-70-714, MCA; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. Section 15-70-704, MCA, is amended to read:
"15-70-704. Bonding, release of surety, and additional bond. (1) Except as provided in this section, a compressed natural gas dealer's license or a liquefied petroleum gas dealer's license may not be issued to a person and may not be continued in force unless the person has furnished a bond, in a form prescribed by the department, to secure the dealer's compliance with this part and has paid all taxes, interest, and penalties due under this part. The department shall waive the bond requirement of a compressed natural gas dealer or a liquefied petroleum gas dealer who is not subject to the provisions of subsection (2)(a) or (2)(b).
(2) The total amount of the bond or bonds required must be equivalent to twice the compressed natural gas dealer's or
the liquefied petroleum gas dealer's estimated
monthly quarterly tax payments but may not be less than $1,000 for any
compressed natural gas dealer or liquefied petroleum gas dealer who:
(a) requests a compressed natural gas dealer's or a liquefied petroleum gas dealer's license to be reissued after the license was canceled for cause; or
(b) fails to file timely reports and pay the tax due as required by 15-70-714.
(3) A surety on a bond furnished as provided in this section must be released and discharged from any liability to the state accruing on the bond after 30 days from the date when the surety has provided to the department a written request to be released and discharged. However, this provision may not operate to relieve, release, or discharge the surety from any liability already accrued or that accrues before the expiration of the 30-day period. Upon receiving a release request, the department shall promptly notify the compressed natural gas dealer or the liquefied petroleum gas dealer who furnished the bond, and unless the dealer, on or before the expiration of the 30-day period, files a new bond in accordance with the requirements of this section or makes a deposit in lieu of a bond as described in 15-70-701(1)(b), the department shall cancel the dealer's license.
(4) The department may require a compressed natural gas dealer or a liquefied petroleum gas dealer to give a new or additional surety bond or to deposit additional securities pursuant to 15-70-701(1)(b) if the department determines that the security of the surety bond previously filed by the dealer or the market value of the property deposited as security by the dealer is impaired or inadequate. If the compressed natural gas dealer or the liquefied petroleum gas dealer fails to give an additional surety bond or to deposit additional securities within 30 days after being requested to do so by the department, the department shall cancel the dealer's license."
Section 2. Section 15-70-714, MCA, is amended to read:
"15-70-714. Returns required -- payment. (1) For the purpose of determining the amount of liability for the tax due
under this part,
each a compressed natural gas dealer and each a liquefied petroleum gas dealer shall file with the
department a monthly quarterly tax return on forms prescribed by the department.
(2) The dealer shall file the return on or before the last day of the next calendar month following the
month for which
the tax is due quarter to which it relates. For good cause, the department may grant a taxpayer a reasonable extension of
time for filing, but the extension may not exceed 30 days.
(3) The tax return must be accompanied by payment of the amount of tax due under 15-70-711 for compressed natural
gas or liquefied petroleum gas sold during the preceding
Section 3. Effective date. [This act] is effective July 1, 1999.
- END -
Latest Version of HB 139 (HB0139.ENR)
Processed for the Web on March 31, 1999 (1:24PM)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted. See the status of the bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill | 1999 Session | Leg. Branch Home
This bill in WP 5.1 | All versions of all bills in WP 5.1
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services