About Bill -- Links
HOUSE BILL NO. 349
INTRODUCED BY B. THOMAS, B. DAVIES, R. DALE, T. HAGENER, D. HAINES, G. MASOLO, J. WITT
AN ACT INCREASING THE AMOUNT FOR WHICH GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES MAY WAIVE CERTAIN SECURITY REQUIREMENTS FOR BUILDING OR CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS FROM $25,000 TO $50,000; AND AMENDING SECTION 18-2-201, MCA.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. Section 18-2-201, MCA, is amended to read:
"18-2-201. Security requirements. (1) Except as otherwise provided in 85-1-219 and subsections (4) through (6) of this section, whenever any board, council, commission, trustees, or body acting for the state or any county, municipality, or any public body contracts with a person or corporation to do work for the state, county, or municipality or other public body, city, town, or district, the board, council, commission, trustees, or body shall require the corporation, person, or persons with whom the contract is made to make, execute, and deliver to the board, council, commission, trustees, or body a good and sufficient bond with a licensed surety company as surety, conditioned that the corporation, person, or persons shall:
(a) faithfully perform all of the provisions of the contract;
(b) pay all laborers, mechanics, subcontractors, and material suppliers; and
(c) pay all persons who supply the corporation, person or persons, or subcontractors with provisions, provender, material, or supplies for performing the work.
(2) A copy of the bond must be filed with the county clerk and recorder of the county in which the work is to be performed or the improvement is to be made or, if the work is to be performed or the improvement is to be made in more than one county, with the county clerk of either county, except in cases of cities and towns, in which case the bond must be filed with the city or town clerk.
(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (1) and (2), the state or other governmental entity may, in lieu of a surety bond, permit the deposit with the contracting governmental entity or agency of the following securities in an amount at least equal to the contract sum to guarantee the faithful performance of the contract and the payment of all laborers, suppliers, material suppliers, mechanics, and subcontractors:
(a) lawful money of the United States; or
(b) a cashier's check, certified check, bank money order, certificate of deposit, money market certificate, or bank draft, drawn or issued by:
(i) any federally or state-chartered bank or savings and loan association that is insured by or for which insurance is administered by the federal deposit insurance corporation; or
(ii) a credit union insured by the national credit union share insurance fund.
(4) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (1) and (2), any board, council, commission, trustee, or body acting for any county, municipality, or any public body other than the state may, in lieu of a bond from a licensed surety company, accept good and sufficient bond with two or more sureties acceptable to the governmental body.
(5) Except as provided in subsection (6), the state or other governmental entity may waive the requirements contained in
subsections (1) through (4) for building or construction projects, as defined in 18-2-101, that cost less than
(6) A school district may waive the requirements contained in subsections (1) through (4) for building or construction projects, as defined in 18-2-101, that cost less than $7,500."
- END -
Latest Version of HB 349 (HB0349.ENR)
Processed for the Web on March 31, 1999 (1:55PM)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted. See the status of the bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill | 1999 Session | Leg. Branch Home
This bill in WP 5.1 | All versions of all bills in WP 5.1
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services