About Bill -- Links
SENATE BILL NO. 273
INTRODUCED BY R. JABS, P. SLITER, J. ANDERSEN, A. BISHOP, R. BITNEY, J. BOHLINGER, M. COLE, B. CRIPPEN, W. CRISMORE, B. DEPRATU, S. DOHERTY, B. EGGERS, A. ELLIS, S. FISHER, D. FUCHS, K. GILLAN, M. HALLIGAN, J. HARP, J. HURDLE, R. JOHNSON, T. KEATING, B. KEENAN, B. KRENZLER, B. LAWSON, J. MERCER, K. MILLER, A. MOHL, M. NOENNIG, B. SIMON, L. SOFT, R. SOMERVILLE, M. SPRAGUE, L. TAYLOR, M. TAYLOR, F. THOMAS
AN ACT CREATING THE 22ND JUDICIAL DISTRICT; PROVIDING FOR AN ADDITIONAL DISTRICT COURT JUDGE FOR THE 11TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT AND THE 20TH JUDICIAL DISTRICT; AMENDING SECTIONS 3-5-101 AND 3-5-102, MCA; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE AND AN APPLICABILITY DATE.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:
Section 1. Section 3-5-101, MCA, is amended to read:
"3-5-101. Judicial districts defined. In this state, there are
21 22 judicial districts, distributed as follows:
(1) 1st district: Lewis and Clark and Broadwater Counties;
(2) 2nd district: Silver Bow County;
(3) 3rd district: Deer Lodge, Granite, and Powell Counties;
(4) 4th district: Missoula and Mineral Counties;
(5) 5th district: Beaverhead, Jefferson, and Madison Counties;
(6) 6th district: Park and Sweet Grass Counties;
(7) 7th district: Dawson, McCone, Richland, Prairie, and Wibaux Counties;
(8) 8th district: Cascade County;
(9) 9th district: Teton, Pondera, Toole, and Glacier Counties;
(10) 10th district: Fergus, Judith Basin, and Petroleum Counties;
(11) 11th district: Flathead County;
(12) 12th district: Liberty, Hill, and Chouteau Counties;
(13) 13th district: Yellowstone
, Stillwater, Carbon, and Big Horn Counties County;
(14) 14th district: Meagher, Wheatland, Golden Valley, and Musselshell Counties;
(15) 15th district: Roosevelt, Daniels, and Sheridan Counties;
(16) 16th district: Custer, Carter, Fallon, Powder River, Garfield, Treasure, and Rosebud Counties;
(17) 17th district: Phillips, Blaine, and Valley Counties;
(18) 18th district: Gallatin County;
(19) 19th district: Lincoln County;
(20) 20th district: Lake and Sanders Counties;
(21) 21st district: Ravalli County;
(22) 22nd district: Stillwater, Carbon, and Big Horn Counties."
Section 2. Section 3-5-102, MCA, is amended to read:
"3-5-102. Number of judges. In each judicial district, there must be the following number of judges of the district court:
(1) in the 2nd, 7th,
11th, 16th, and 18th, and 20th districts, two judges each;
(2) in the 1st,
and 8th, and 11th districts, three judges each;
(3) in the 4th district, four judges;
(4) in the 13th district, five judges;
(5) in all other districts, one judge each."
Section 3. Effective date. [This act] is effective July 1, 1999.
Section 4. Transition -- applicability. (1) The additional judge for the 11th judicial district and the judge for the new 22nd judicial district must be appointed pursuant to the provisions of Title 3, chapter 1, part 10, to take office in January 2000. There must be an election for the offices at the general election to be held in November 2000 for 6-year terms to begin in January 2001.
(2) The additional judge for the 20th judicial district must be elected at the general election to be held in November 2000 and shall take office in January 2001.
- END -
Latest Version of SB 273 (SB0273.ENR)
Processed for the Web on April 13, 1999 (10:20AM)
New language in a bill appears underlined, deleted material appears stricken.
Sponsor names are handwritten on introduced bills, hence do not appear on the bill until it is reprinted. See the status of the bill for the bill's primary sponsor.
Status of this Bill | 1999 Session | Leg. Branch Home
This bill in WP 5.1 | All versions of all bills in WP 5.1
Prepared by Montana Legislative Services