17-8-402. Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Claim" includes any request or demand for money, property, or services, whether made pursuant to a contract and regardless of whether a governmental entity holds title to the money or property, that is made to:
(a) an employee, officer, agent, or other representative of a governmental entity; or
(b) a contractor, grantee, or other person, whether under contract or not, if any portion of the money, property, or services requested or demanded is to be spent or used on a governmental entity's behalf or to advance a governmental program or interest and if the governmental entity:
(i) provides or has provided any portion of the money, property, or services requested or demanded; or
(ii) will reimburse a contractor, grantee, or other person for any portion of the money, property, or services requested or demanded.
(2) "Government attorney" means the attorney general except for complaints involving a unit of the university system.
(3) "Governmental entity" means:
(a) the state;
(b) a city, town, county, school district, tax or assessment district, or other political subdivision of the state; or
(c) a unit of the Montana university system.
(4) (a) "Knowingly" means that a person, with respect to information, does any of the following:
(i) has actual knowledge of the information;
(ii) acts in deliberate ignorance of the truth or falsity of the information; or
(iii) acts in reckless disregard of the truth or falsity of the information.
(b) A specific intent to defraud is not required.
(5) "Material" means having a natural tendency to influence or be capable of influencing the payment or receipt of money, property, or services.
(6) "Obligation" means an established duty, whether fixed or not, arising from:
(a) an express or implied contractual, grantor-grantee, or licensor-licensee relationship;
(b) a fee-based or similar relationship;
(c) a statute or regulation; or
(d) the retention of any overpayment.
(7) "Person" includes any natural person, corporation, firm, association, organization, partnership, limited liability company, business, trust, or other legal or business entity.
(8) "State" means the state of Montana.
History: En. Sec. 2, Ch. 465, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 64, L. 2009; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 388, L. 2013.