2-9-101. Definitions. As used in parts 1 through 3 of this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Claim" means any claim against a governmental entity, for money damages only, that any person is legally entitled to recover as damages because of personal injury or property damage caused by a negligent or wrongful act or omission committed by any employee of the governmental entity while acting within the scope of employment, under circumstances where the governmental entity, if a private person, would be liable to the claimant for the damages under the laws of the state. For purposes of this section and the limit of liability contained in 2-9-108, all claims that arise or derive from personal injury to or death of a single person, or damage to property of a person, regardless of the number of persons or entities claiming damages, are considered one claim.
(2) (a) "Employee" means an officer, employee, or servant of a governmental entity, including elected or appointed officials, and persons acting on behalf of the governmental entity in any official capacity temporarily or permanently in the service of the governmental entity whether with or without compensation.
(b) The term does not mean a person or other legal entity while acting in the capacity of an independent contractor under contract to the governmental entity to which parts 1 through 3 apply in the event of a claim.
(3) "Governmental entity" means the state and political subdivisions.
(4) "Personal injury" means any injury resulting from libel, slander, malicious prosecution, or false arrest and any bodily injury, sickness, disease, or death sustained by any person and caused by an occurrence for which the state may be held liable.
(5) "Political subdivision" means any county, city, municipal corporation, school district, special improvement or taxing district, other political subdivision or public corporation, or any entity created by agreement between two or more political subdivisions.
(6) "Property damage" means injury or destruction to tangible property, including loss of use of the property, caused by an occurrence for which the state may be held liable.
(7) "State" means the state of Montana or any office, department, agency, authority, commission, board, institution, hospital, college, university, or other instrumentality of the state.
History: (1)En. Sec. 2, Ch. 380, L. 1973; Sec. 82-4302, R.C.M. 1947; (2)En. 82-4334 by Sec. 8, Ch. 189, L. 1977; Sec. 82-4334, R.C.M. 1947; R.C.M. 1947, 82-4302, 82-4334(3); amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 675, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 389, L. 1985; amd. Secs. 1, 3, Ch. 22, Sp. L. June 1986; amd. Sec. 54, Ch. 61, L. 2007; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 262, L. 2015.