32-9-135. Independent contractor entity -- responsible individual -- loan processor or underwriter. (1) An independent contractor entity may not offer or engage in clerical or support duties with respect to any dwelling or residential real estate in this state unless the independent contractor entity obtains and maintains a valid mortgage broker license through the NMLS.
(2) An independent contractor entity shall apply for a mortgage broker license through the NMLS for its main office and for every branch office where clerical or support duties are conducted.
(3) An independent contractor entity shall designate a responsible individual for each main office and each branch office. The responsible individual must be an employee of the independent contractor entity.
(4) The responsible individual is responsible for the operation of the business at the responsible individual's place of employment under the responsible individual's full charge, supervision, and control.
(5) An independent contractor entity is responsible for the conduct and omissions of its employees, agents, and independent contractors, including for violations of federal or state laws, rules, or regulations.
(6) A responsible individual is responsible for conduct that violates federal or state laws, rules, or regulations. The responsible individual's responsibility includes conduct by the responsible individual and each employee and agent of the independent contractor entity at the location that the responsible individual manages.
(7) If the responsible individual ceases to act in that capacity, the independent contractor entity shall within 15 days designate as responsible individual another individual who is a licensed or registered mortgage loan originator and shall submit information to the NMLS establishing that the subsequent responsible individual is in compliance with the provisions of this part.
(8) If the employment of a responsible individual is terminated, the independent contractor entity shall remove the sponsorship of the responsible individual on the NMLS within 5 business days of the termination.
(9) An individual who is employed by an independent contractor entity and who performs only clerical or support duties and does so at the direction of and subject to the supervision and instruction of a responsible individual is not required to be licensed under this part.
History: En. Sec. 12, Ch. 24, L. 2015.