33-22-702. Definitions. For purposes of this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Chemical dependency treatment center" means a treatment facility that:
(a) provides a program for the treatment of alcoholism or drug addiction pursuant to a written treatment plan approved and monitored by a physician or addiction counselor licensed by the state; and
(b) is licensed or approved as a treatment center by the department of public health and human services under 53-24-208 or is licensed or approved by the state where the facility is located.
(2) "Inpatient benefits" are as set forth in 33-22-705.
(3) "Mental health treatment center" means a treatment facility organized to provide care and treatment for mental illness through multiple modalities or techniques pursuant to a written treatment plan approved and monitored by an interdisciplinary team, including a licensed physician, psychiatric social worker, and psychologist, and a treatment facility that is:
(a) licensed as a mental health treatment center by the state;
(b) funded or eligible for funding under federal or state law; or
(c) affiliated with a hospital under a contractual agreement with an established system for patient referral.
(4) (a) "Mental illness" means a clinically significant behavioral or psychological syndrome or pattern that occurs in a person and that is associated with:
(i) present distress or a painful symptom;
(ii) a disability or impairment in one or more areas of functioning; or
(iii) a significantly increased risk of suffering death, pain, disability, or an important loss of freedom.
(b) Mental illness must be considered as a manifestation of a behavioral, psychological, or biological dysfunction in a person.
(c) Mental illness does not include:
(i) a developmental disorder;
(ii) a speech disorder;
(iii) a psychoactive substance use disorder;
(iv) an eating disorder, except for bulimia and anorexia nervosa;
(v) an impulse control disorder, except for intermittent explosive disorder and trichotillomania; or
(vi) a severe mental illness as provided in 33-22-706.
(5) "Outpatient benefits" are as set forth in 33-22-705.
History: En. Sec. 2, Ch. 197, L. 1979; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 535, L. 1981; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 593, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 302, L. 1985; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 98, L. 1987; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 606, L. 1987; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 262, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 448, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 83, Ch. 546, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 348, L. 1999; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 23, L. 2001; amd. Sec. 56, Ch. 227, L. 2001.