Clickable Image

     35-1-1037. Withdrawal of foreign corporation. (1) A foreign corporation authorized to transact business in this state may not withdraw from this state until it obtains a certificate of withdrawal from the secretary of state.
     (2) A foreign corporation authorized to transact business in this state may apply for a certificate of withdrawal by delivering an application to the secretary of state for filing. The application must set forth:
     (a) the name of the foreign corporation and the name of the state, tribe, or country under whose law it is incorporated;
     (b) that it is not transacting business in this state and that it surrenders its authority to transact business in this state;
     (c) that it revokes the authority of its registered agent to accept service on its behalf and appoints the secretary of state as its agent for service of process in any proceeding based on a cause of action arising during the time it was authorized to transact business in this state;
     (d) a mailing address to which the secretary of state may mail a copy of any process served on the secretary of state under subsection (3);
     (e) a commitment to notify the secretary of state in the future of any change in its mailing address;
     (f) that all taxes imposed on the corporation by Title 15 have been paid, supported by a certificate by the department of revenue to be attached to the application to the effect that the department is satisfied from the available evidence that all taxes imposed have been paid. The issuance of the certificate does not relieve the corporation from liability for any taxes, penalties, or interest due the state of Montana; and
     (g) additional information as may be necessary or appropriate to enable the secretary of state to determine and assess any unpaid fees or taxes payable by the foreign corporation as prescribed by 35-1-1026 through 35-1-1031, 35-1-1038 through 35-1-1040, and this section.
     (3) After the withdrawal of the corporation is effective, service of process on the secretary of state under this section is service on the foreign corporation. Upon receipt of process, the secretary of state shall mail a copy of the process to the foreign corporation at the mailing address set forth under subsection (2).

     History: En. Sec. 169, Ch. 368, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 29, Ch. 240, L. 2007; amd. Sec. 6, Ch. 280, L. 2015.

Previous Section MCA Contents Part Contents Search Help Next Section