35-10-401. Partner's rights and duties. (1) A partnership shall establish an account for each partner. The partnership shall credit the account with an amount equal to the money plus the value of any other property, net of the amount of any liabilities, that the partner contributes to the partnership and the partner's share of the partnership profits. The partnership shall charge the account with an amount equal to the money plus the value of any other property, net of the amount of any liabilities, distributed by the partnership to the partner and the partner's share of the partnership losses. However, the partner is personally liable for the charges only as provided in 35-10-307 and 35-10-629.
(2) A partnership shall credit each partner's account with an equal share of the partnership profits. A partnership shall charge each partner with a share of the partnership losses, whether capital or operating, in proportion to the partner's share of the profits. However, a partner is personally liable for the charges as provided in 35-10-307 and 35-10-629.
(3) A partnership shall indemnify each partner for payments reasonably made and liabilities reasonably incurred by the partner in the ordinary and proper conduct of the business of the partnership or for the preservation of its business or property. However, a partner is not personally liable for the indemnification obligation of the partnership, except to the extent that the partner would be personally liable under 35-10-307 or 35-10-629 for the liabilities incurred by the indemnified partner.
(4) A partnership shall repay a partner who, in aid of the partnership, makes a payment or advance beyond the amount of capital the partner agreed to contribute.
(5) A payment made by a partner that gives rise to a partnership obligation under subsection (3) or (4) constitutes a loan to the partnership. Interest accrues from the date of the payment or advance.
(6) Each partner has equal rights in the management and conduct of the partnership business.
(7) A partner may use or possess partnership property only on behalf of the partnership.
(8) A partner is not entitled to remuneration for services performed for the partnership, except for reasonable compensation for services rendered in winding up the business of the partnership.
(9) A person may become a partner only with the consent of all the partners.
(10) A difference arising as to a matter in the ordinary course of business of a partnership may be decided by a majority of the partners. An act outside the ordinary course of business of a partnership and an amendment to the partnership agreement may be undertaken only with the consent of all the partners.
(11) This section does not affect the obligations of a partnership to other persons under 35-10-301.
History: En. Sec. 18, Ch. 251, L. 1947; R.C.M. 1947, 63-301; amd. Sec. 24, Ch. 238, L. 1993; amd. Sec. 12, Ch. 449, L. 1995.