47-1-103. Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Commission" means the public defender commission established in 2-15-1028.
(2) "Court" means the supreme court, a district court, a youth court, a justice's court, a municipal court, or a city court.
(3) "Indigent" means that a person has been determined under the provisions of 47-1-111 to be indigent and financially unable to retain private counsel.
(4) "Office" means the office of state public defender established in 47-1-201.
(5) "Public defender" means an attorney employed by or under contract with the office and assigned to provide legal counsel to a person under the provisions of this chapter, including attorneys employed by or under contract with the office of appellate defender.
(6) "Statewide public defender system", "state system", or "system" means the system of public defender services established pursuant to this chapter.
History: En. Sec. 2, Ch. 449, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 24, L. 2011.