50-6-501. Definitions. As used in this part, unless the context indicates otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Automated external defibrillator" or "AED" means a medical device that:
(a) has received approval for marketing from the U.S. food and drug administration;
(b) is capable of recognizing the presence or absence of ventricular fibrillation or rapid ventricular tachycardia and of determining, without intervention by an operator, whether defibrillation should be performed;
(c) upon determining that defibrillation should be performed, automatically charges and indicates that it is ready to deliver an electrical impulse to an individual's heart; and
(d) may be used by an operator of the device to deliver an electrical impulse to an individual's heart.
(2) "Department" means the department of public health and human services provided for in 2-15-2201.
(3) "Emergency medical service" means an emergency medical service as defined by 50-6-302.
(4) "Entity" means a public agency, department, office, board, or commission or other governmental organization or a private corporation, partnership, group, or business or other private organization.
(5) "Physician" means an individual licensed to practice medicine pursuant to Title 37, chapter 3, part 3.
(6) "Public safety answering point" means a communications facility operated on a 24-hour basis that first receives 9-1-1 calls from persons in a 9-1-1 service area and that may, as appropriate, directly dispatch public or private safety services or transfer or relay 9-1-1 calls to appropriate public safety agencies.
History: En. Sec. 2, Ch. 335, L. 1999.