7-31-203. Certification of public safety communications officers -- suspension or revocation -- penalty -- notification requirements. (1) A local government shall require that a person, unless exempt under subsection (3), appointed to receive requests for emergency services, as defined in 10-4-101, and to dispatch the appropriate emergency service units be certified by the council as a public safety communications officer.
(2) (a) The council shall determine the certification standards for public safety communications officers as provided in 7-31-202.
(b) The certification standards must contain a requirement that an applicant for certification attend and successfully complete a basic course for public safety communications officers conducted by the Montana law enforcement academy within 1 year of date of hire.
(3) (a) A person certified by the council prior to July 1, 2001, and employed as a public safety communications officer as of July 1, 2001, is not subject to the requirement of subsection (2)(b).
(b) A person under permanent appointment as a public safety communications officer as of July 1, 2001, is not subject to the requirements of subsection (2).
(4) A public safety communications officer who has successfully met the certification standards set by the council, or who is exempt from certain certification standards pursuant to subsection (3), who has met the qualification requirements in 7-31-202, and who has completed a 6-month probationary term and 1 year of employment must, upon application to the council, be issued a basic public safety communications officer certificate.
(5) Failure by any person appointed as a public safety communications officer after July 1, 2001, unless exempt under the provisions of subsection (3), to meet the minimum requirements in 7-31-202 or to satisfy the certification requirements provided for in subsection (2) of this section is cause to terminate that person's employment as a public safety communications officer.
(6) It is unlawful for a person whose certification as a public safety communications officer has been suspended or revoked by the council to act as a public safety communications officer. A person convicted of violating this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed 6 months in the county jail or by a fine in an amount not to exceed $500, or both.
(7) Within 10 days of the appointment, termination, resignation, or death of any public safety communications officer, written notice must be given to the council by the employing authority.
History: En. Sec. 3, Ch. 58, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 437, L. 1993; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 88, L. 2001; amd. Sec. 9, Ch. 506, L. 2007.