7-6-1501. Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Board of directors" means the board of directors of the resort area district.
(2) "Luxuries" means any gift item, luxury item, or other item normally sold to the public or to transient visitors or tourists. The term does not include food purchased unprepared or unserved, medicine, medical supplies and services, appliances, hardware supplies and tools, or any necessities of life.
(3) "Medical supplies" means items that are sold to be used for curative, prosthetic, or medical maintenance purposes, whether or not prescribed by a physician.
(4) "Medicine" means substances sold for curative or remedial properties, including both physician prescribed and over-the-counter medications.
(5) "Qualified elector" means a person who is qualified to vote under 13-1-111 and is a resident of a resort community, resort area, or proposed or established resort area district.
(6) "Resort area" means an area that:
(a) is an unincorporated area and is a defined contiguous geographic area;
(b) has a population of less than 2,500 according to the most recent federal census;
(c) derives the major portion of its economic well-being from businesses catering to the recreational and personal needs of persons traveling to or through the area for purposes not related to their income production; and
(d) has been designated by the department of commerce as a resort area prior to its establishment by the county commissioners as provided in 7-6-1508.
(7) "Resort area district" means a district created under 7-6-1532 through 7-6-1536, 7-6-1539 through 7-6-1544, 7-6-1546 through 7-6-1548, and 7-6-1550 that has been established as a resort area under 7-6-1508.
(8) "Resort community" means a community that:
(a) is an incorporated municipality;
(b) has a population of less than 5,500 according to the most recent federal census;
(c) derives the primary portion of its economic well-being related to current employment from businesses catering to the recreational and personal needs of persons traveling to or through the municipality for purposes not related to their income production; and
(d) has been designated by the department of commerce as a resort community.
History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 729, L. 1985; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 549, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 554, L. 1995; Sec. 7-6-4461, MCA 1995; redes. 7-6-1501 by Code Commissioner, 1997; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 381, L. 2009; amd. Sec. 80, Ch. 49, L. 2015.