76-15-103. Definitions. Unless the context requires otherwise, in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Agency of this state" includes the government of this state and any subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the government of this state.
(2) "Department" means the department of natural resources and conservation provided for in Title 2, chapter 15, part 33.
(3) "District" or "conservation district" means a governmental subdivision of this state and a public body corporate and politic organized in accordance with this chapter, for the purposes, with the powers, and subject to the restrictions set forth in this chapter.
(4) "Due notice" means notice published at least twice, with an interval of at least 14 days between the two publication dates, in a newspaper or other publication of general circulation within the proposed area or by posting at a reasonable number of conspicuous places within the appropriate area. The posting must include, when possible, posting at public places where it is customary to post notices concerning county or municipal affairs generally.
(5) "Government" or "governmental" includes the government of this state, the government of the United States, and any subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of either of them.
(6) "Land occupier" or "occupier of land" includes a person, firm, corporation, municipality, or other entity that holds title to or is in possession of lands lying within a district organized under this chapter, whether as owner, lessee, renter, tenant, or otherwise.
(7) "Petition" means a petition filed under 76-15-201 for the creation of a district.
(8) "Qualified elector" means an elector as defined in Title 13.
(9) "Supervisor" means one of the members of the governing body of a district, elected or appointed in accordance with this chapter.
(10) "United States" or "agencies of the United States" includes the United States of America, the natural resource conservation service of the United States department of agriculture, and any other agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the United States of America.
History: En. Sec. 3, Ch. 72, L. 1939; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 73, L. 1961; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 146, L. 1967; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 431, L. 1971; amd. Sec. 88, Ch. 253, L. 1974; R.C.M. 1947, 76-103(part); amd. Sec. 393, Ch. 571, L. 1979; amd. Sec. 269, Ch. 418, L. 1995.