87-2-106. Application for license. (1) A license may be procured from the director, a warden, or an authorized agent of the director. The applicant shall state the applicant's name, age, [last four digits of the applicant's social security number,] occupation, street address of permanent residence, mailing address, qualifying length of time as a resident in the state of Montana, and status as a citizen of the United States or as an alien and other facts, data, or descriptions as may be required by the department. An applicant for a resident license shall present a valid Montana driver's license, Montana driver's examiner's identification card, tribal identification card, or other identification specified by the department to substantiate the required information. It is the applicant's burden to provide documentation establishing the applicant's identity and qualifications to purchase a license. Except as provided in subsections (2) through (4), the statements made by the applicant must be subscribed to by the applicant.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), department employees or officers may issue licenses by telephone, by mail, on the internet, or by other electronic means.
(3) To apply for a license under the provisions of 87-2-102(7), the applicant shall apply to the director and shall subscribe to fulfillment of the requirements of 87-2-102(7). The director shall process the application in an expedient manner.
(4) A resident may apply for and purchase a wildlife conservation license, hunting license, or fishing license for the resident's spouse, parent, child, brother, or sister who is otherwise qualified to obtain the license.
(5) A license is void unless subscribed to by the licensee.
(6) A person whose privilege to hunt, fish, or trap has been revoked is not eligible to purchase any license until all terms of the court sentence in which the privilege was revoked, including making restitution, have been met or the person is in compliance with installment payments specified by the court and the department has received notification from the sentencing court to that effect pursuant to 87-6-922(2).
[(7) The department shall keep the applicant's social security number confidential, except that the number may be provided to the department of public health and human services for use in administering Title IV-D of the Social Security Act.]
(8) The department shall delete an applicant's social security number in any electronic database [5 years after the date that application is made for the most recent license]. (Bracketed language terminates or is amended on occurrence of contingency--sec. 3, Ch. 321, L. 2001.)
History: En. Sec. 4, Ch. 238, L. 1921; re-en. Sec. 3684, R.C.M. 1921; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 84, L. 1947; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 157, L. 1969; amd. Sec. 5, Ch. 9, L. 1977; amd. Sec. 13, Ch. 417, L. 1977; R.C.M. 1947, 26-204; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 494, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 322, L. 1985; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 106, L. 1987; amd. Sec. 80, Ch. 83, L. 1989; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 416, L. 1989; amd. Sec. 4, Ch. 277, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 321, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 9, Ch. 417, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 187, L. 1997; amd. Sec. 4, Ch. 29, L. 1999; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 321, L. 2001; amd. Sec. 3, Ch. 80, L. 2003; amd. Sec. 12, Ch. 180, L. 2007; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 237, L. 2007; amd. Sec. 2, Ch. 253, L. 2009; amd. Sec. 93, Ch. 258, L. 2011; amd. Sec. 11, Ch. 96, L. 2013.