2-6-1002. Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Confidential information" means information that is accorded confidential status or is prohibited from disclosure as provided by applicable law. The term includes information that is:
(a) constitutionally protected from disclosure because an individual privacy interest clearly exceeds the merits of public disclosure;
(b) related to judicial deliberations in adversarial proceedings;
(c) necessary to maintain the security and integrity of secure facilities or information systems owned by or serving the state; and
(d) designated as confidential by statute or through judicial decisions, findings, or orders.
(2) "Constitutional officer" means the governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state, superintendent of public instruction, or auditor, who are the constitutionally designated and elected officials of the executive branch of government.
(3) "Constitutional officer record" means a public record prepared, owned, used, or retained by a constitutional officer.
(4) "Essential record" means a public record immediately necessary to:
(a) respond to an emergency or disaster;
(b) begin recovery or reestablishment of operations during and after an emergency or disaster;
(c) protect the health, safety, and property of Montana citizens; or
(d) protect the assets, obligations, rights, history, and resources of a public agency, its employees and customers, and Montana citizens.
(5) "Executive branch agency" means a department, board, commission, office, bureau, or other public authority of the executive branch of state government.
(6) "Historic record" means a public record found by the state archivist to have permanent administrative or historic value to the state.
(7) "Local government" means a city, town, county, consolidated city-county, special district, or school district or a subdivision of one of these entities.
(8) "Local government records committee" means the committee provided for in 2-6-1201.
(9) "Permanent record" means a public record designated for long-term or permanent retention.
(10) "Public agency" means the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of Montana state government, a political subdivision of the state, a local government, and any agency, department, board, commission, office, bureau, division, or other public authority of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the state of Montana.
(11) "Public information" means information prepared, owned, used, or retained by any public agency relating to the transaction of official business, regardless of form, except for confidential information that must be protected against public disclosure under applicable law.
(12) "Public officer" means any person who has been elected or appointed as an officer of state or local government.
(13) "Public record" means public information that is:
(a) fixed in any medium and is retrievable in usable form for future reference; and
(b) designated for retention by the state records committee, judicial branch, legislative branch, or local government records committee.
(14) "Records manager" means an individual designated by a public agency to be responsible for coordinating the efficient and effective management of the agency's public records and information.
(15) "State records committee" means the state records committee provided for in 2-6-1107.