10-3-1307. Responsibilities of department of transportation -- assessment and collection of fees -- issuance of permits -- inspection of motor carriers. (1) After receiving notification from the person or entity that plans to ship high-level radioactive waste or transuranic waste through the state, the department of transportation shall assess fees according to the following schedule:
(a) a fee of $2,500 must be assessed for each cask designed for transport by truck; and
(b) a fee of $4,500 must be assessed for the first cask designed for transport by rail and a fee of $3,000 for each additional cask designed for transport by rail that is shipped by the same person or entity in the same shipment.
(2) Payment of the fees provided in subsection (1) is the responsibility of the person or entity who owns the waste.
(3) Upon receipt of the fees provided in subsection (1), the department of transportation shall issue to the owner of the waste a permit that must be carried with the waste as it is traveling through the state.
(4) The department of transportation shall deposit all of the fees collected under this section in the radioactive waste transportation monitoring, emergency response, and training account created in 10-3-1304.
(5) If the waste is to be transported through the state by motor carrier, the department of transportation shall coordinate with the highway patrol on the inspection of the motor carrier by the motor carrier services division.
(6) This section does not exempt the operator of a motor carrier from any of the provisions of Title 61, chapter 10, from Title 69, chapter 12, or from any other law that applies to the operation of motor vehicles in Montana.