Montana Code Annotated 2021



Part 7. Educational Cooperative Agreements

Running Start Program -- Authorizing Class Credits At Postsecondary Institution -- Eligibility -- Payment For Credits

20-9-706. Running start program -- authorizing class credits at postsecondary institution -- eligibility -- payment for credits. (1) As used in this section, "postsecondary institution" means a unit of the Montana university system, a public community college, or a tribal college.

(2) A school district may enter into an interlocal agreement pursuant to Title 7, chapter 11, with a postsecondary institution to institute a "running start" program to allow 11th and 12th grade students, as defined by the district, to attend classes at the postsecondary institution at a cost determined by the interlocal agreement and to obtain credits in classes not available through the school district.

(3) An agreement entered into by the district and the postsecondary institution must state the amount for each credit to be paid to the postsecondary institution by the district or the student.

(4) To participate in the program, a student shall complete a running start application provided by the district. The district shall determine whether the student has the skills needed to succeed in the proposed college coursework. If accepted, a student may earn both high school and college credits as determined by the interlocal agreement.

(5) In registering 11th and 12th grade students in the program, a postsecondary institution may not displace adult students attending the postsecondary institution.

(6) If accepted into the program, the student is responsible for transportation, books, and all supplies.

(7) If a student accepted into the program drops out of a class or classes at the postsecondary institution during the drop period established by the postsecondary institution, the postsecondary institution shall reimburse the district or the student the cost associated with the student's credits as determined by the interlocal agreement.

History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 377, L. 2001.